Removing Bondo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Bondo?

No, its not on my hootus. :p

ive been working on restoring an 1940's j**p that was around in the war. the previous owner did alot of body work, meaning the entier outside was made flush, removing all brackets, mounting holes, ect. Overall there is about 1/2" of solid bondo, give or take, around the entire body. I need to strip it down to the bare tub. Ive taken the paint off with paint stripper, but it ends there. So far I have been sanding it off with a wire wheel, little by little but its been about 7hrs of work and im not even halfway around the outside, its taking forever. Anyone have exp. removing lots of bondo. I chip it away when its thick enough, but if its not thick it dosent chip. Anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had good luck with a stripping thing for a power drill. Its like a hard black sponge disc. Works great.

wire wheel on a hand held grinder is the best way I know of.

Grind away. 36 grit. It is gonna be messy. Watch for sparks. If you see sparks you have hit metal.

i'd go flap wheel on a large 7"+ grinder

6" sanding disk 80 grit paper thats what i used on my 53 Ford F 100 around the cab corners and it worked good

bondo's gone, finally. Now im sandblasting the entire thing.

Now, a new problem. the floor on the inside is covered in fiberglass mat. How in the heck do i get this stuff off? i let paint stripper sit on some for a while and it came right up, but i can do that on the other areas caus it will run off. Wire wheel is my next best bet unless someone has a better idea.

good luck wit the fiberglass mat

What is under the firberglass? If it is covering up rust you might end up having to cut and replace all the metal anyway.

the body is acually pretty sound, in very good shape for being almost 60 years old. Only a few small spots of rust. ANways, it didnt matter what I wanted to do, this isnt my project. Im just doing the work.

Back