removing dent in bumper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing dent in bumper

i have a small dent in my front bumper from a deer collision. its not bad enough to spend the money to replace the whole bumper, but it needs to be fixed. is it easy to get dents out of the 99 explorer bumper? do i need to apply heat to it?

The metal part or the plastic part?

The plastic part is cake, the metal part, not so much.

Cake man.
You'll need to remove the bumper and then remove the cover from the reinforcement.
Now get an heat gun, a golf ball, work gloves and some compressed air. If you don't have acess to an air compressor a squirt bottle will work too.

With the heat gun, warm the BACK SIDE of the dent. There is a fine line between hot enough and too hot. So be careful. Warm it up so it will move when you push on it. Gently roll the golf ball around the back side of the dent, pusing it out evenly wile cooling it with the air or water. It might take more than a try or two.
Just don't get it too hot and don't press from the front.
Good luck.

thanks monmix.....i noticed you were from MD, are there any good spots to go wheelin? the only legal place i found was in monkton. there are a lot of illegal spots though :D , especially where i live....baltimore county

Back