Removing leafs to lower?

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
I was thinking of lowering my '03 Sport about 1.5". It has full leaf packs on it. Would that cause any problems? I was thinking of removing a couple of the bottom leafs and doing a torsion flip in the front. A couple of the leafs may only be about 1" at the most. Without the extra support will it allow it to sag a little more?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although it may seem a little "dirtier" -- how about just putting blocks on the rear axle since its in an SUA configuration? That way, the ride quality pretty much stays the same as the leaf pack's spring coefficient doesn't change.

Although it may seem a little "dirtier" -- how about just putting blocks on the rear axle since its in an SUA configuration? That way, the ride quality pretty much stays the same as the leaf pack's spring coefficient doesn't change.

Because I'm cheap and poor. :D Actually I thought the ride was a little stiff with it being a Sport and a full leaf pack. I was hoping it would soften it up some.

Autozone lowering blocks... are under $20

Interesting... If that's the case wouldn't it bottom out easier.

It would if you remove too much support. But given that a lot of the Sports had a single leaf pack I thought it would be ok if I just removed a couple.

I believe the newer Sports only have 3 leaves. Not the full pack like the 4-doors. They already sag to begin with so I'd say pop the bottom leaf out and see where it sits.

I believe the newer Sports only have 3 leaves. Not the full pack like the 4-doors. They already sag to begin with so I'd say pop the bottom leaf out and see where it sits.

Mine has 4 just like my 4-door.

Normally the sports didn't come with an overload leaf.

won't that lead to more axle wrap?

Either way is going to add to your axle wrap situation, not that it's really a problem with a 4.0. The blocks give the axle more leverage on the leafs, while removing a leaf will slightly weaken the spring rate. I would try removing a leaf first, as the cheap blocks are a pain in the ass to install on our trucks unless you have some custom u-bolts made due to our thick axle housings.

Either way is going to add to your axle wrap situation, not that it's really a problem with a 4.0. The blocks give the axle more leverage on the leafs, while removing a leaf will slightly weaken the spring rate. I would try removing a leaf first, as the cheap blocks are a pain in the ass to install on our trucks unless you have some custom u-bolts made due to our thick axle housings.

Thanks. I thought I had heard of the universal U-Bolts being a problem.

No problem, you can get them to fit around, but its a real pain.

Back