removing rear view mirror while still leaving the mount | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing rear view mirror while still leaving the mount

beavis195

Reaction score
City, State
Sammamish, WA and Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4 door
okay the glass is broken on my mirror so I went and bought a new one. I can't get the broken one off the mount on the windshield. Its like its glued on there tight and i've been wiggleing it and stuff for a while. Do I have to remove the mount too or will the mirror and arm thing eventually come free? If the mount can stay, how do I get the mirror off? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to rephrase your questions. I'm a little confuse about what you are asking?

Or maybe I've been sniffing too much of the 87 octane....

You should see a screw on the base of the mirror (might be a hex bolt). Loosen that, and you can slide the mirror upwards off the mount.

Ohh, I get it now... damn Exxon!

My '94 Explorer doesn't have a screw like my '87 aerostar or '95 Sable does. It has a band made out of spring steel that goes across the mount the mirror is attached to, to secure to the mount attached to the glass. You have to pry the band away from the mount. Not as easy as the screw design.

I work in a Windshield installation shop. Some of the Fords and Mercurys that come through here have that type of mirror setup, kind of spring release. We just take a small hammer andbump it up. Comes right off.

Be careful using a hammer, the mount is attached well enough people have broken windshields trying to remove it!

Designs vary but the FORD designs I am familiar with have the mirror slide onto the mount on a dovetailed groove, and a spring loaded clip clicks into place LOCKING the mirror onto the mount. The FORD factory tool is essetially two small round wires (probably 1/16 to 3/32 in size and 1 inch long on a handle) that you push into the small slot at the end of the mirror mount farthest from the rounded end. I have had success using a jewelers screwdriver. The trick is to depress the spring clip so the mirror can slide off.The spring locks it in place so you have to keep it depressed until you get it started.

Good luck and Happy Exploring

CHRIS

What I used and what the factory shop CD reccommended was using a flat head screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver at the bottom then push up. The mirror should come out as you're pushing it.

Back