Removing rear window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing rear window

richardva

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Stuck, and would appreciate some insight.

The rear window of my explorer shattered. The only window I could get was attached to the entire lift gate. I am trying to remove the window, and cannot do so. The problem is that the hatch lock is engaged (on the junkyard lift gate). I cannot get the interior panels to remove (I have cut most of them away, so I can access the lock assembly. But I cannot get the lock to release. Is there a manual release somewhere that I am missing?

If I cannot release the lock, what are my options? I am really worried about applying too much leverage on the assembly holding the windshield wiper on, since these windows shatter easily.

I am going to try next to see if I can position it to hook up the electrical connections, but I am not hopeful that I can get it into a position where the wires will reach. (I am doing this on my own, and have a bad back anyway).

Thanks.
This is a ford explorer 2002 xlt (the earlier production date - 03/01, I think, so it is the older of the two designs).

For anyone running into the same problem. There is a manual release. There is a plate connected on one side to what looks like an actuator, and the other side to a thin wire connected to latch assembly (You have to remove the lower of the two interior panels to get at it). That thin wire (or the plate that the wire is threaded through) has to be pulled fairly hard to release the lock. The problem I was running into was that I thought that was how it worked, but the plate wouldn't budge. I think there was something wrong in the lock assembly. But I finally got it to release, and the glass is now out. I still don't understand why I couldn't get the interior panels out.

Back