Removing rear windows, need opinions! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing rear windows, need opinions!

That is just plain awesome.
Nice work.
This is in the BII's future. You should be careful doing a speed test with the front windows down! I assume those studs are onthere pretty good though.

What was the cost of this project would yuo estimate?

I have seen people with BII's just use a small hole saw on the interior trim everywhere they want to access the nut. then you can use press in vinyl round pieces to cover up the holes if you want.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man :D
Actually with the front windows down they do good. I have not tried it on the highway yet, and I have not tried it with all the windows down. But I do know that with only one front window down they barely move. The glue thats holding the studs is pretty freaking strong though. When I was removing the studs on the drivers window, I ended up cracking the plastic on one spot before the adhesive let go :fire: :eek:

The windows themselves were $150, that included the adhesive, then the studs were from Lowes @ $3.50 for a pack of 4, expansion nuts were $.88 and weather stripping $4.25 a pack. So:

Windows__$150
Seal x 2___$8.50
Studs_____$3.50 x 5
Nuts______$.88 x 18
Total = $191.84

Thats how much it would have cost had I actually planned it out. That does not account for fabbing the original brackets, trial and error fitting the weather stripping (I went through a lot...), not liking the first mounting method and tearing it all apart to start over, cost of the wing nuts that now have no purpose and all the "hmm let me try this" left over stuff that I bought only to throw away :p

Bought the paint today, the plastic bonding Rust Oleum stuff. Hopefully it will be warm enough tomorrow so I can paint the pass. side window at least and finish off the drivers side window.

And I got my new Visa today that has 0% interest for the first 6 months, so maybe its time to upgrade the suspension.... :rolleyes: :D

hahahahahahahaha Oh man credit cards + truck mods = BAD IDEA.
Just save the $$$

No worries, I am not a stranger to the credit card game :cool:
I've never charged more on the card than I can pay off for that month. And this is only the second one I have, not counting the Sams Club card I have, that has only ever been used to buy an Xbox 360....

DONE!

Started the painting yesterday, got one coat of that plastic bonding RustOleum paint on before it got too dark and cold out. Threw a second coat on today. And I wanted them to kind of stand out, so I experimented with the shape of the border, and I think it came out excellently :cool: Now I get to drive it around tomorrow....

100_2741.JPG

Decided I was happy with it and mounted it :thumbsup:

100_2745.JPG

Then of course I had to add the finishing touch....I just have to get my hands on another Uwharrie sticker, and one more Serious Explorations sticker.

100_2746.JPG

Here is a shot of the window removed. I may throw some black paint around the edge just to make it look more "finished".

100_2740.JPG

Another shot of the finished product

100_2750.JPG

And one of the drivers window

100_2748.JPG

Now I can start on reworking the cargo area :D

That is f'in sweet. :thumbsup: I don't know about where you live, but I recently found out from a guy in my local 4x4 club that, here in Missouri at least, a vehicle won't pass inspection unless it had real glass for the windows. :( Have you checked into that, or do you have connections? ;)

Man that is a dandy question! And certainly not one that I considered....I have a buddy that works at a shop I will ask. But from what I have seen whenever I get it inspected, I don't recall seeing anything on there about glass rear windows. Dunno, I will check into that. What does your state say about Jeeps though? Or are they in a special category?

Well, Jeep Wranglers and CJs are classified as convertibles, so I think that's their loophole. The guy that I talked to had to replace glass in his Jeep, but it's a Cherokee.

The install looks so sweet it might pass as glass. Great work! :thumbsup:

I am going to check with my buddy and see if they look for that. And if they do, maybe I can convince him not to :hammer: :p

no, you DO NOT need glass in the vehicle to pass...only glass you need is windshield. I know that the several places that I asked regarding this told me that it doesnt matter as long as its not the windshield.

looks sweet and it saved you some coin :D

Thanks guys! And I did check today and so long as the windshield is glass, I am good :thumbsup:

As far as saving money, I think I did. After seeing the cost breakdown of the project going the way it COULD have, I may have came out on top. But seeing as how I planned by the seat of my pants and constructed, deconstructed and reconstructed a few things, I know I am over the $200 mark, maybe but not sure about the $250 mark. At some point I want to get a price and see how much a new section of glass would have been, just for curiosity's sake :p :rolleyes:

I doubt that i would have ever noticed had i not read this. They look great and would like to do it to mine someday. Great job. ;) Have you leak tested them yet with a hose or ran it through a car wash? They look like they will last forever. I bet you could make some real money selling them as a kit. :D

I got a replacement window at the junk yard for 10 bucks :rolleyes:

$200 vs. $10? Thats a ruff one ;)

Super, if you are interested, I asked the guy that took my oder if they could hang on to that template I sent them in the event there were others that were interested in doing the same. And from what I can tell, they are %110 weatherproof :D It took me sooo many times applying the weather stripping seeing exactly what layout would provide the best seal. And I knew after experimenting that I wanted it to go around the window in one whole piece, though it was a pain to apply :banghead: The only spot that may leak every now and then is the drivers side window at the back bottom corner. The entire face of the stripping does not come in contact with the window, maybe about half. A tad bit of water may find its way in there like when shutting a door and air pressure forces it apart for half a second. But even then I am not sure the positive pressure is enough to force air through there. Its weatherproof enough for me though, and I am the type of person who straightens the silverware on a table :rolleyes: :eek:

Stic-o said:
I got a replacement window at the junk yard for 10 bucks :rolleyes:

$200 vs. $10? Thats a ruff one ;)

Yeah well....mine won't break...and I could see the squirrels....and they were merry :)

Stupid Physics

Well I discovered something today while I had my Explorer parked in the sun, working on the bearings. It seems that the principle of expansion and contraction is still enforced :p I noticed as I walked by the drivers side window, the side the sun was hitting, that the window was pretty warped. This situation did not even occur to me. So what I am thinking is maybe I can enlarge the holes the studs slide through, allowing a little room for movement. The only problem that I see with this is whether or not the weather stripping will allow movement... :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 329

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks!

Thicker plastic?

Back