Removing rear windows, need opinions! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing rear windows, need opinions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Charlie's_93EB said:
damn the life giving sun
haha!! :D

After really thinking about this, I don't think I am going to give it too much concern. Because, if it gets hot enough outside for the expansion to happen, I don't believe the conditions will warrant any worry concerning rain. And I also don't see how I have just now noticed this, which leads me to believe that maybe while driving the windows get cool enough to contract, or prevent the expansion.

Plastic....plexiglass....Lexan (bullet proof stuff).

Anyway, I been thinking (dangerous)......perhaps there might be a scratching problem (while cleaning) down the line??

Very nice work BTW.

Aloha, Mark

Oh heck yes there is a scratching problem :confused:
When I do wipe them, I use a microfiber cloth to at least prolong the clarity of them. Initially without thinking, I had used a cotton terry cloth........... :thumbdwn:

So any more updates on the expansion/contraction problem?

was wondering mostly when the window cooled did it go back to it original shape?
and how are the windows doing? since it been a while since the installation.

Nothing new has developed. I find that they tend to expand if it sits directly in the sun for awhile, but they do return to normal once they cool down. So I don't really have any concerns about them causing any kind of leaks or what not. So far, they are water tight!:D

In the back of my mind I am still wanting to explore (hehe) different avenues of securing the windows. What I have now works perfectly, but then I have to keep track of 18 bushings when I take the windows out. I would like to get my hands on something that I can screw down, like what I have now, but be able to mount them to the body.

And I have considered removing the weather stripping and painting a black border around the windows just to make them look a little more finished.

Just nit picky things:D

You would really benefit from dzus fasteners. They are used extensively on drag cars to keep the front clips and hoods on at high speed. I never had one fail on my drag car and they are retained by the panel they are attached to so there is no losing them.

http://www.southco.com/

You probably want the quarter turn fasteners but look through the site and you will find what you are looking for.

Ok I know, reviving an old thread... but I was wondering after all this time how they're holding up? It sounds like a great summer project this year, and I was thinking maybe a clearcoat to keep from scratching when washing/wiping?

Back