Removing rear windows, need opinions! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing rear windows, need opinions!

hey thats a good idea! one other thing I was thinking about...if you painted that border then affixed the weatherstripping to the actual window, it wouldn't look as bad when you had em off. if you took your windows off, then have just an open space with weatherstripping around it probly wouldn't look too hot. Buuuuuut, there's always that bottom line question of what will seal and function better? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dattach it to the window and run you some black paint around the edgeto make the stripping virtually invisible.

Got a good chunk done today. Just have to finish 4 latches and get them attached. Went ahead and adhered the studs to the window itself, and the adhesive is white....So I have 9 little white dots around the edge of the window :confused: I had considered painting the inside, but figured even if I did that, you would still be able to see the adhesive and I was not sure what would happen if paint was mixed with it.

Right now the stripping is attached to the vehicle, but that very well may change. It is a super slight inconveniene when putting the window in to make sure the stud is lined up right with the hole as to avoid snagging the foam. But the point here is QUICK release!! So I may just run the stripping around the window itself. It comes off pretty easy, so I think I will give that a go just to see.

Also, since there are now dots around the window edge, I had entertained the thought of just painting the whole area on the vehicle where the window used to be, because I am not too certain how the stripping would stick to the paint if I decided to paint the window edge :rolleyes: It is too dark now, but I will get some pictures tomorrow :cool:

Limited Ex said:
It is too dark now, but I will get some pictures tomorrow :cool:
Not seeing any pics that you've posted today?!?! :D

bmxking5 said:
Not seeing any pics that you've posted today?!?! :D

Hehe, I washed and waxed my car today instead :p

Are the polycarbonate windows tinted? On mine I was abe to get a slightly tinted color. Interested in how you do the quick release thing for the windows. On mine they are bolted to nuts that are welded to metal frame. And then use a speedwrench to take off. Only takes a minute to take off. Was thinking about having little pull pins drilled thru the bolts on the inside to make it more difficult for people to take off. But then again all they have to do is kick it in. Good Luck

ceom on with the pics Caleb!

I was planning on getting some posted, but putting my car over a guard rail Friday kind of made me forget :(

the new car? is it totalled? are you ok?

Yep, the Mustang. I am fine, unscathed. But as for the car, well I dunno. I have a hard time thinking its totalled, I would guess about 4 or 5k damage. At least two new wheels, both bumpers, mufflers, radiator, radiator support, headlight, fender, and anything that was behind or near the fender, and at least 1 new tire. And on top of that the officer gave me a ticket for wreckless driving which I pray to God that I can get out of.

I was heading around an on ramp shaped like a P, and right about where the P curves back onto itself, I downshifted into second, and when I hit the gas, the tires spun right out from underneath me and I slid accross the road, through the grass and hit the guard rail, went up and over the guard rail and landed in the shoulder of the highway. I am heading out to my buddies shop today to snap some pictures, and I may post them when I get home.

It seems here lately I have a problem with keeping my vehicles tires on the ground.... :thumbdwn:

you need stickier tires.

I will be getting some wider tires and new wheels when all is said and done. 10"s on the pavement on each side should be better.....

did you ever get some pics and you wanna run URE oct 7-9

Cant wait to see what you come up with.
A quick release for the rear hatch window would top this off nicely

I have not forgotten pictures!! I still have not got them finished yet :( This last month has been hell in a handbasket, what with school, work, my ******* computer crashing and waiting to get my car back, I have not touched the windows. As soon as I get my computer running again, I will post some pictures.

From what I have gotten done though, I have decided to change my latch idea. If I really had the time, I would like to have fabricated some quick latch, but what I am going to do is just thread the studs that are on there now, and just use some knobs to secure the windows. I figure if I am fourwheeling, then I will have the time to unscrew eight knobs. But this is subject to change of course, I have to see how that approach will work with the interior panels going back in.... :rolleyes:

Almost broke awindow myself this last weekend.

Subscribing!

Alrighty, not finished yet, but I have been busting my tail to get them done since it is getting close to winter. I am still trying to figure out a latching mechanism that I am happy with, but I think I am almost there.

But one side project I started yesterday and finished today was wiring up my Palm Pilot as my new radio :thumbsup:

Now I want to get those windows finished even more so I can use it!

SIX MONTHS LATER :D

All that is left to do is paint them and touch up the drivers side window so it is identical to the passenger side window.

I started on the drivers side, and I seriously overthought the entire plan. Originally I wanted to fab some latches and avoid any screw type mechanism, but then I realized after driving it with the home made latches that the piece of mind a screw type latch would offer would be worth it. Because I was deathly afraid that one of the latches would fail and I would lose the whole window going down the road. So I attempted a different route with the pass. side and am very happy with it.
The first attempt I used wing nuts, but those rattled loose after driving for awhile. Then I found these rubber nuts with a threaded metal sleeve inside and they work, as Tony would say, Grrrreeat!

Finished product, sans paint:

000_0014.jpg

The interior is going to be "remodeled" :D in order to accomodate the new studs for the windows. The factory molding severely interferes with the removing of the nuts, so it is going to get reworked....
000_0015.jpg

And a shot of the Miracle Nut

000_0016.jpg

I still have to find some paint to paint the edges of the windows to hide the white dots, remove the old latches from the drivers side and apply new weather stripping. Then I will put my stickers on there and it will be like new :cool:

I will get some shots of the windows removed at some point, hopefully within the next six months......

Well thats awesome you about ready to test the exploder out again... I am actually planning on a trip to Beech Mtn this week and Windrock last weekend in March, then URE opens April 1.

BTW would you be willing to sell the mantle off your post lamp... i ran over mine and need a new mantle and yours is the perfect match for the old one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lamp is not actally mine, its my parents. I can check with them and see where they got it, because I highly doubt they have any extra mantles for it. Although I would think you could pick up a set at any outdoor store, they appear to be same mantles that I use in my lantern.

Back