• Register Today It's free!

Removing the hood liner?

dudefish

Reaction score
City, State
Smoke Rise, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
Somehow the windshield washer tubes seem to have come undone from the nozzles, and I need to remove the under-hood liner in order to get to them and re-affix them. I tried to pull on a couple of the plastic fasteners, and they didn't want to come out. Is there a trick to taking down the hood liner? Do you have to just cut off the plastic fasteners and replace with new ones? Thanks for any advice on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't recall this particular item being brought up before. I'm sure that if someone has had experience doing it, they will reply. Good luck.

Peter

Go to a auto parts store like Autozone etc. and buy a auto trim removing tool kit. They are made of plastic and you get about 4 various sizes and shapes, the wide one works great for that. They just pop out then push them back in.

Somehow the windshield washer tubes seem to have come undone from the nozzles, and I need to remove the under-hood liner in order to get to them and re-affix them. I tried to pull on a couple of the plastic fasteners, and they didn't want to come out. Is there a trick to taking down the hood liner? Do you have to just cut off the plastic fasteners and replace with new ones? Thanks for any advice on this.

Harbor freight and others sell“trim pliers” they are perfect for removing the re using the plastic Christmas tree clips

A set like this will probably work too.

Since the clips aren't that old yet, you'll probably be able to reuse them but if not, many auto parts stores sell similar enough clips if they're the typical pan head, Christmas tree type... just need the right diameter stud on them.

Back