Replace ABS Module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace ABS Module

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Anyone done it, on a 3rd. Gen.? My Ford Shop Manual states the ABS Module has factory-installed data particular to the individual vehicle (VIN would be one thing, my guess, what else, heaven knows), which must be retrieved and "configured" into the replacement module.

I believe my module is shot. Looked at numerous parts houses, only earlier modules seem to be available (maybe not requiring configuration?). I emailed 3 sites which rebuild and sell modules, they all declined my 2004.

So, has anyone replaced one without configuring it? Did it work? Thanks! imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone done it, on a 3rd. Gen.? My Ford Shop Manual states the ABS Module has factory-installed data particular to the individual vehicle (VIN would be one thing, my guess, what else, heaven knows), which must be retrieved and "configured" into the replacement module.

I believe my module is shot. Looked at numerous parts houses, only earlier modules seem to be available (maybe not requiring configuration?). I emailed 3 sites which rebuild and sell modules, they all declined my 2004.

Nobody has replaced an ABS Module??? imp

Nobody has replaced an ABS Module??? imp

Many many views, no thoughts on this, so, having finally thrashed it for way over a month, just in case someone else needs to know: I ordered a used ABS Module on Ebay, 2004 Explorer 4.0L Flexfuel. $80. I searched real closely for identical Ford Part No., there were an incredible number of different part #s used on 2004s. Only one guy had one, so I bought it. Came with the whole motor and pump assembly, Module still attached, plug in connector, wires cut off harness. All wires in plug matched mine exactly. Quandary was, use my pump & motor, or the used one just received? The modules are secured to the pump by three REVERSE Torx screws, instead of recessed star shape, they have a protruding star shaped head, very tiny. Found a 6-point 4mm socket will fit good enough, but one screw head was so rusted, it would have needed to be ground off, so, I installed the just-received unit complete, had my wife pump the brake pedal, fittings leaving pump loosened, got good "peda[".

Installed with battery and batt. tray removed, only way to access the fittings, bracket, etc. All put back, turned on ignition, previously ABS, BRAKE, and 4X4 HIGH lights all stayed on. Now, only ABS light stayed ON. Checked for codes: Got 3 ABS codes, no PCM. "VIN Number Mismatched" (expected), "Battery Voltage Low" (how it knew the battery was disconnected, I have no idea), and "Code Originated External". I called for a delete, the first (VIN Mismatch") came back, the other two gone. Drove vehicle 6 miles around the long block here. Old module caused PCM to do "Forced Reduced Power" (limp strategy), disabled all 4X4 function, and locked out TCC function. Now, all works OK (for 6 miles anyway).

How to input VIN into ABS module remains to be seen, as well as will it keep running OK forever with ABS light on, or will PCM eventually shut the car down? Depends on how Ford programmed it.

There ya got it. P2106 Forced Reduced Power, all websites advice led to the Throttle Body, which I replaced with brand new. Then, PCM, rebuild, same trouble. The video where Hiram Gonzalez miraculously goes to the rear wheel speed sensor, as the cause for reduced power, is hokum, IMO.

2 months without drivable vehicle, but maybe now usable without Dealer intervention, for what, two grand maybe? Hope this is of some value to someone! imp

Imp: Do you have functioning ABS system with this? My guess is not--since you state ABS light stays on.

Did you ask dealer how much they would charge to re-program the used ABS PCM to your VIN?

I just got my PCM software/firmware updated from dealer for '02 XLS. The truck has ABS but not traction control. The dealer says that communications failed with the ABS module. Both ABS and (red) "Brake" light are on. Cruise control does not work even after replacing servo and the cutoff switch on the master cylinder.

I did extensive wire repair due to mice/chipmunk damage around the ABS module in this thing. Guess I messed up/missed something.

I have a donor vehicle with an (unchewed) wire harness and ABS module. I may make a project out of swapping them over. Sounds like I won't get ABS (VIN mis-match) unless I pay a dealer to re-program the replacement module. Note: The PCM is not putting this truck in reduced-power mode (I suspect b/c it does not have traction control like Imp's does).

I guess I could start with replacing the wiring harness and keeping the current ABS module, initially. But swapping that harness looks like a PITA!

Imp: You're still able to drive w/o reduced power mode?

I just got my PCM software/firmware updated from dealer for '02 XLS. The truck has ABS but not traction control. The dealer says that communications failed with the ABS module. Both ABS and (red) "Brake" light are on. Cruise control does not work even after replacing servo and the cutoff switch on the master cylinder.

I did extensive wire repair due to mice/chipmunk damage around the ABS module in this thing. Guess I messed up/missed something.

I have a donor vehicle with an (unchewed) wire harness and ABS module. I may make a project out of swapping them over. Sounds like I won't get ABS (VIN mis-match) unless I pay a dealer to re-program the replacement module. Note: The PCM is not putting this truck in reduced-power mode (I suspect b/c it does not have traction control like Imp's does).

I guess I could start with replacing the wiring harness and keeping the current ABS module, initially. But swapping that harness looks like a PITA!

Imp: You're still able to drive w/o reduced power mode?
@Drewmcg
Thanks for writing! Better late, ....... I have driven with the ABS light illuminated ever since my OP here, without consequence of any kind. One code constantly there, not deletable, "VIN Mismatch". I believe I was given "Forced Reduced Power" and once "Forced Engine Idle", as a result of another concurrent problem: Throttle Body malfunction. See, I'm stuck with drive by wire, they don't want litigation like from the Japanese debacle where throttles suddenly went wide open uncommanded. BTW, I do not have Control-Trac or stability control.

I've had real problems with pack rats, not now but long ago, destroyed completely a harness. Another time, mice got into my '96 F-150 5-speed bellhousing through the tiny vent hole on the back. Found that out after clutch began slipping in 5th uphill, believe it or not, here's what I found:
img08010.jpg

img08110.jpg

The grass they had drug in there wound itself up into an amazingly strong "rope", wound around the inside of the pressure plate, blocking release fingers from moving completely back to rest position, causing incomplete force on clutch disc. I had bought a new clutch, of course, before I yanked out the gearbox! imp

Chiming in just to say alot of smaller independent shops have the ability to write the vin, not just Ford. Any snap on scanner with the 14.2 update or newer will do it along with the cheaper Autel scanners (I have the Maxisis Pro) and Forscan. Forscan you can get online and get an ob2 dongle from about everywhere online and do it yourself.

@Drewmcg
Thanks for writing! Better late, ....... I have driven with the ABS light illuminated ever since my OP here, without consequence of any kind. One code constantly there, not deletable, "VIN Mismatch". I believe I was given "Forced Reduced Power" and once "Forced Engine Idle", as a result of another concurrent problem: Throttle Body malfunction. See, I'm stuck with drive by wire, they don't want litigation like from the Japanese debacle where throttles suddenly went wide open uncommanded. BTW, I do not have Control-Trac or stability control.

I've had real problems with pack rats, not now but long ago, destroyed completely a harness. Another time, mice got into my '96 F-150 5-speed bellhousing through the tiny vent hole on the back. Found that out after clutch began slipping in 5th uphill, believe it or not, here's what I found:
img08010.jpg

img08110.jpg

The grass they had drug in there wound itself up into an amazingly strong "rope", wound around the inside of the pressure plate, blocking release fingers from moving completely back to rest position, causing incomplete force on clutch disc. I had bought a new clutch, of course, before I yanked out the gearbox! imp

Yeah--I hate mice!

Chiming in just to say alot of smaller independent shops have the ability to write the vin, not just Ford. Any snap on scanner with the 14.2 update or newer will do it along with the cheaper Autel scanners (I have the Maxisis Pro) and Forscan. Forscan you can get online and get an ob2 dongle from about everywhere online and do it yourself.

Thanks, very helpful. I'm going to check into the forscan thingy. But it won't work until I can communicate to the ABS module--which means (thanks to mice) either replacing that wiring harness and/or replacing the module (hence the need for the VIN update).

Weird that the ABS fault would have cut Imp's power. This makes no sense to me. My ABS light is on (no communications with module), and my engine runs strong. Just drove to Texas from Michigan . . . .

Thanks, very helpful. I'm going to check into the forscan thingy. But it won't work until I can communicate to the ABS module--which means (thanks to mice) either replacing that wiring harness and/or replacing the module (hence the need for the VIN update).

Weird that the ABS fault would have cut Imp's power. This makes no sense to me. My ABS light is on (no communications with module), and my engine runs strong. Just drove to Texas from Michigan . . . .
@Drewmcg
Keep in mind I have a 2004. They may have further muddied the waters after 2002. imp

@imp does your truck have advance trac?

@imp does your truck have advance trac?
@boominXplorer
No Sir! Thankfully. When I bought it in Mar. 2010, I was still cutting my teeth on Gen 2, having had a '96 and '99. Heard back then of horror stories regarding ABS, nobody understood, even dealers. Nobody could fix, I heard. Far cry from the EEC-IV I had come to understand early '90s. Now, the ABS complexity is bad enough, without Stability Control. imp

Living in the North, in a few years I'll likely replace my '02 RWD Explorer with a 4WD '08-'10 with stabilitrack. Having spun out a few times on snowy roads, I think traction control is more important than ABS (and a side benefit). I also like the idea of side airbags, and the 3-valve V-8 seems like a slick engine choice, too.

Hopefully by '08 Ford mostly figured out the traction control/advance track/anti-rollover stuff!

Back