Replace upper ball joint boot only? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace upper ball joint boot only?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
While doing brakes last month I noticed one of my ball joint boots was torn. No other apparent problems so I was wondering if I can just remove the ball joint nut, lower the knuckle, repack with grease and slip on a new boot?

Ford doesn't have new boots, I'd have to search out something aftermarket. Anything I should be concerned about?

thanks,

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While doing brakes last month I noticed one of my ball joint boots was torn. No other apparent problems so I was wondering if I can just remove the ball joint nut, lower the knuckle, repack with grease and slip on a new boot?

Ford doesn't have new boots, I'd have to search out something aftermarket. Anything I should be concerned about?

thanks,

Rob
@Recoil Rob Pop the stud loose, move it around with your fingers. Usually, enough crap gets in with a torn boot, it will wreck the joint if continued to use. If it feels tight, and you found a boot, I'd replace the boot, sure. Boots usually get ruined by use of a "pickle-fork" expander tool; yours is already shot. imp

Yeah, problem is finding a boot. Apparently since these units were OEM complete there are no parts. Might make some calls in the am.

I would recommend replacing with a new Moog ball joint. The prothane ones are not compleltly sealed and there are none that are the correct size. I had the same issue you are having about 5 years ago and went through the same problem.

The stock upper balljoint is a known weak spot on these vehicles mostly due to early boot failures.

My explorer has 146k miles and I replaced upper ball joints at 75k and just recently changed the lower balljoints and tie rod ends. My moog upper balljoints were still in great condition when I replaced the lowers.

Replacing the uppers isn't a horrible job. I did both the ball joint and upper arm assemblies for $200 and 3 hours of work, based on not having a clue when I started. Alignment shop showed no deviance from proper settings.

I just ordered a set of UCA from MOOG. They offer two types BTW, the R series is not made by them and is like the Ford OEM, ball joints not replaceable, no grease fitting. I got the C series which they manufacture with replaceable ball joints and zerks.

Back under the truck again.

thanks,

Rob

thanks,

Rob
Whatabout some of that Spray on leak stuff, Seams like it would seal and flex..

Carquest up here in Ontario has replacement boots.

Back