• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Front Bearings

seadawg

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
I'm getting a little whine up front, I feel its the bearings. I'm under extended warranty but dont want to switch out the tires to get OEM ford replacement crap, I run 265/75/16's. Do you think they improved their design? If so it may be worth it.
I find 2 predominant brands. Timkin ($132.95) vs SKF($182.95). Any thoughts? I read about the rear diff troubles has anyone had problems with the front?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and if your talking about front bearings why would you would you worry about a rear differential

let me clarify I have a whine up front, thus the concern over the front wheel bearings and or the FRONT DIFF. I have a Ford extended warranty and I currently have 265/75/16 tires mounted. This most likely would void this warranty. If a ford dealer were to replace the worn bearings with cheap oem junk, that last me only another 48k, it is not worth the time or expense to place the 235/65/16's back on the rims. If they have improved their bearings well ok. The front diff seems ok, but it is hard to pinpoint, that is why I ask about the FRONT DIFF. I have read a thread concerning a repack. these bearings are sealed and I don't want to put a band aid on it with summer coming and traveling and all. So does any one have experance with the above mentioned bearings

If it lasts 48 grr who cares let ford repace them when that time comes to. Ford isn't going to take the time to check your tires to see if you have the right size. They just want to get your car in and out with the bearings fixed.

BS Ford will look for any opp to get out of doing warranty work. Roll in there with mods like over sized tires and guess what "no wonder your bearings went bad buddy, you got the wrong tires on this here thing". I was born at night, but not last night and I've have had more warranty issues than I care to mention. Also in another 48k I won't have a warranty.
I am assuming no one has used the 2 bearings indicated in this thread.

ive had problems with bearings front and rear and if ur hearing a whine, that is def not the issue... both times my bearings went out (Front left and rear right) it was a very loud rumbling sound... i just thought it was the tires but i was overruled on that guestimate when someone else rode in it... the front one i had to find out the hard way by almost dying on the interstate.. lots of fun... i went with OEM and that probably wasnt the smartest choice cuz ford's bearings r crappy... im guessing if there are AEM brands for replacement bearings, they have to be even a miniscule better than the reg OEMs cuz they blow... ill eventually have to replace the others and ill probably get an aftermarket set when i do

Back