• Register Today It's free!

Replacing CV shaft

davemengel

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
So I have had a gremlin in my front passenger wheel for a while and have replaced about everything...today I'm doing the axle. Upon removing the cv axle the axle half shaft is pulling out of the differential. Is this normal? I'm familiar with solid axle set ups but this is my first independant suspension. Do the axle shafts operate like a full floating axle cuz honestly I was nervous when the shaft came out. Also any tips for separating the half shaft from the cv axle? Thanks guys

The half shaft is a cir clip, like the C/V shaft is. Just push it back in with the C/V axle.

Just be careful that the splines don't cut the seals if it comes out too far. All it takes is a good pull on the C/V to separate them.

Thanks for the reply...I'm doing everything I can to separate these things. I get a little movement.. Gotta love cut and dry jobs that last 3 hours...lol

So I got this all put back together and I still have noise issues...my cv's seem to move alot...about a cm in and out and my ring and pinion seem to have alot of play...am I looking at a rebuild? I know this front dif is not the original. The dealership I bought it from had it installed and I don't think it was checked for wear.

Back