Replacing freeze plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing freeze plugs

Reaction score
City, State
Holland, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
Hey there, I have been having coolant leak out of two of the freeze plugs on my 94' 4.0l. I am planning on going through and replacing all of the plugs. Can anyone give me some tips and/or tricks on how to replace them, without taking the engine out of the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the left side on my 93 by pulling the exhaust manifold and going thru the wheel well. Was still a pain in the butt.
Hope this helps

Well we'd really like to do it without having to take a lot of stuff off. Not sure if thats gonna be possible though.

To be honest I wanted to pull the engine replacing just one, let alone all of them. Some of them are nearly impossible to do with the engine in. I just suggest going the extra mile and removing anything in the way instead of trying to work around it. Might as well go ahead and pull fender wells and probably take off exhaust headers if you can.

Better get some PB blaster and a couple days time.

When you get to them just knock a hole in them and get something in the hole to grab and pull it out, drill a small hole if you gotta and use some kind of hook.

No advice on putting it in, all I did was use a long piece of pipe about the size of the plug and hit it with a hammer, a socket works too.

Good luck

perfect timing, was just looking for info on this, needed to put them in my new heads. should any sealant be added before putting them in?
not sure these are the same thing, but they were in the same bag anyway. but i have threaded plugs that take giant allen wrenches that go into the heads. same question; screw in or add some kind of sealant?

@ keithisg, do you know how well the dorman expansion plugs work? the ones where all you have to do is turn a nut.

not sure on the ones with the nut, mine looked exactly like the one i pulled out just a metal plug like a door knob almost.

But definitely make sure you get one that looks exactly like yours, cause theres 3 kinds I think.

I didn't use any sealant although I read somewhere you should. Ive wheeled it hard a couple times since and I havent seen a leak, Ive actually checked too. Although I did hit it with a tiny bit of silicon sealant and smeared it on with my fingers but after the plug fell out a million times while I was trying to get it in I dont think there was much left.

When replacing them use a gasket sealant on the edges and the back side. It helps in keeping them tight and coating the back side helps them from rusting threw again. The motor block ones can be done with the motor in the truck just remove the inner fenders and the exhaust manifolds. Now the ones on the back side of the heads well that’s another story for them you remove the heads or remove the motor you pick but no way to get to them with motor or heads installed.

when seating the plugs also do not drive them to deep only drive them so there just below the block surface by about an 1/8" also be careful when driving them out as you do not want to knock then to hard and push them into the passage way and hit the water jacket and creak it turning this simple job in to one big fubar of a job. Once you knock then in a bit and turn them side ways take a needle nose to grip them and pull them out. Clean the bore really well and then do the sealant trick and drive them back in with a tool that fits the inside of the plug almost filling it. Tap easy no reason to hammer them hard as there soft plugs and should go in some what easy when do right.
Good luck

@ keithisg, do you know how well the dorman expansion plugs work? the ones where all you have to do is turn a nut.

I think you might be talking about the rubber stopper that expands when you crank the nut. I have used them, they seemed to work ok. One thing: They will not function as a freeze plug in the sense of protecting the block from freezing, so if you go this route, be extra careful about keeping coolant up to spec.

I concur about knowing the type of plug, there are freeze plugs and core plugs, and they serve different purposes for different locations on the block.

If i were to use these rubber stoppers, I would not need to make room by removing the exhaust manifolds and fender wells since i wouldnt have to do any pounding. Correct?

i really wouldnt recommend the rubber plugs on something you drive daily. I have used them on an old ridge runner ford f150, but it never say the pavement and certainly was not a serious wheeler. i had a hundred bucks in the truck, and could care less if it blew. go the extra mile, pull the manifolds, the engine if you have to. if its worth doing, its worth doing right.

i really wouldnt recommend the rubber plugs on something you drive daily. I have used them on an old ridge runner ford f150, but it never say the pavement and certainly was not a serious wheeler. i had a hundred bucks in the truck, and could care less if it blew. go the extra mile, pull the manifolds, the engine if you have to. if its worth doing, its worth doing right.

I agree, the times I have used these, it was with the understanding that it was a temporary measure.

ive had two of my freeze plugs go out. One on the back of the block on the passenger side and one on the driver side in between the exhaust. now mine had already rusted thru suuuper bad so the whole poke a hole and run a screw thru didnt work for me. every time i tried that it busted thru and made a bigger hole and i just kept getting more and more pissed off. so on the second one i knew better. i made as big of a hole as i could with whatever i could and went and rented a bearing puller and opened it up untill it grabbed the edges of the plug just right and used whatever i had to try and pry at it at whatever angle i could get. i think the back of the block was harder, hunched over the top reaching over the top with my breaker bar sitting on the top ot the puller and i was hammering at it (not the best idea), getting the new one in in the back wasnt fun neither. i tried the rubber one and it popped out two days later. so i got the metal one and got it in from underneath. there was just enough space to get the correct angle next to the bell housing. the only problem i had with the exhaust one was getting it in and knowing when to stop lol. I tried the Autozone freeze plug and lost it in the block. i found the kragen ones were less shallow and were way easier to use. if you can find a freeze plug installer, one with a round end. itll make life easier

overall pain in the butt

Yeah I didn't remove my exhaust headers, I just used my jack handle bar and hit it with a hammer through the fender well, it worked alright for me. Longer the bar the better you can work it in between everything and hit it from far away and have leverage on it.

I did an experiment with jb weld. I mixed the weld and took two pieces of aluminum foil, cut to the diameter of the plug. i put the weld on the freeze plug and sandwiched the foil on to it. lightly pressed to get a seal. then i sandwiched another piece of foil with weld. smoothed it out to get a good seal, so far i have put about 15k miles on it with no problems

oh yeah the freeze plug only had a small pinhole.

As I said I would not use the rubber ones or JB weld but for a fast fix and knowing it’s only a temp fix tell I can do it right.

When replacing them I have never had any problems hitting them on the side knocking then sideways then pulling them out with a needle nose. I always paint the back side and edges with gasket sealer and I will say I have never replaced a plug again doing it this way.

379752_2248074037088_1105294432_31973557_542910482_n.jpg

my new little problem...

Well, there are freeze plugs in worse places, if you get lucky you can tap a new one in without a major deal. I would flush the coolant and be sure to use the best quality coolant you can afford. The other freeze plugs are probably not far behind if it is corrosion (looks like it).

Buy a couple of freeze plugs just in case you ding up the first one. It always takes me 2 or 3 before I find the right technique.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

384299_2262302952802_1105294432_31979338_1616576190_n.jpg

this was this morning im about done with it, did the freeze plug and thermastat and changing all the hoses out.broke the heater valve trying to change out the hoses..

Back