• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Shocks on 96 Limited

IrvineCAGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Irvine, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited
My 96 Explorer Limited has a load-leveling system. The pump in the rear runs a long time after the car is parked, annoying my neighbors to no end. Not my problem! My problem is: The vehicle bottoms out easily on dips in the road. I believe it's the shocks. The cost of the replacement shocks are more than the value of the vehicle!

Can I replace these shocks with standard shocks and disable the air-ride system? Thanks

Yes

Joe - are you saying he can disable the air ride? If so, I really need to know how to do this. I have the same issue, tries to self level on and off for hours after being parked. Only problem is.....its not leveling! No lift or drop at all to be seen.

You can always just flip the switch in the rear cargo area by the jack but I think you'll have a message come up on your message center.

Check this thread for some more info on trying to cure that... Get down a few posts past the riff-raff.

My 2000 had rear air ride that has been disabled by the PO, and I think the relay was pulled.

Back