Replacing the Window Regulator, I cut off my thumb!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Window Regulator, I cut off my thumb!!!

wish I had come here prior to attempting motor removal. I just about severed my left pointer finger off this past Thursday. Problem was, I knew, just as the original poster did, that I needed to secure the armature and neglected to do so. Hell of a way to start the New Year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I winced and about cried when i heard the OP cut his thumb!

Sorry to hear of your accident, thats such a painfully hard lesson to learn about safety first. Heal well friend.

losing fingers runs in my family. my grandfather lost the top of three of his finger on an old combine, my uncle lost three of his fingertips to a table saw, i almost lost mine to a 67 lincoln power window regulator. i was attempting to remove it a was holding it inside the door and took the last bolt out and it snapped shut on my fingers i had to call someone to get me a long screwdriver to pry the regulator apart and get my fingers out. i fixed that sob the next day with my fingers all bandaged up. that was in the late '80s and i still feel it when my fingers get cold. probably should have gone to the doctors instead of using popsicle sticks and duct tape, boy was my instructor ticked when he saw my fingers.

last yr, suburban slipped the jack, broke my hip. jack stands are your friend.

Jesus H Christ! What a horrible experience. Should we quit working on these devils?

My story about a thumb: 5 years old, ready to start kindergarten, summertime. Had watched street workers open the manhole middle of our residential intersection, using a long prybar.

An identical manhole cover existed in a neighbor's front yard. I got the kid next door to help me, he was 4, showed him how to put a broomstick in the keyhole of the cover, pry down, lifting the cover enough........for me to stick my thumbs (why not fingers, I dunno, but lucky!) under the slightly lifted cover. What, 150 lbs? He suddenly let go of the stick, and the cover crushed my right thumb. No idea how the left escaped. Screaming bloody murder, I ran home the 3 houses away, my mother heard me coming......trail of blood followed me along the sidewalk, front drive, up the back steps. She wrapped a handkerchief around my thumb, called our old family doctor, about 5 miles away, explained circumstances, he dropped his work, an office with folks waiting, drove to our house, checked it out, recommended an X-ray, and my thumb to this day has a discernible chunk missing in front of the nail. Healed, no problem. I see the scar left there and wonder how traumatic must this have been for me and my mother. I am now 76......it's almost like yesterday.....

You never did that again did you?

I once got my thumb stuck in a mole trap, while trying to set it when I didn't have good leverage. That was a surprise, that was tough to open up with the other hand to get the finger out. It just peeled the skin off, but no bone or muscle damage etc.

Im confused as to where the spring is? I replaced my window motor nylon bushings, disassembled the whole thing and I dont ever remember seeing a spring

Back