Replacing the Window Regulator, I cut off my thumb!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Window Regulator, I cut off my thumb!!!

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
Replacing the Window Regulator, I cut off my thumb!!! (X-rays inside)

Over the last couple years, I have had my fair share of problems with the windows in my Explorer.

I had problems with the manual windows.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126672&highlight=window

So I converted to power.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144430&highlight=window

I had problems with the power windows. I had problems with the front windows, and I had problems with the rear windows.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187537&highlight=window

In my latest post about windows, I asked for a regulator, and motor set-up, but ended up buying all new parts on eBay.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189455&highlight=window

Well, the motor arrived on Monday (7/2), and the Regulator arrived on Tuesday (7/3). I didn't have to be at work until 1pm on 7/3, and I know I can get the old assembly out, and the new one in, in less than 20 min.

I get the old one out, and notice the new motor does not come with screws to attach the motor to the regulator.

I need to remove the screws from the old motor/regulator assembly.

REMEMBER...the regulator is in the 'window down' position, meaning the spring is wound as tight as it ever will be in this application.

As I got the last of 3 screws out of the assembly.....

....the assembly violently snaps back, releasing the energy stored by the spring, and catches my thumb just barely above the cuticle of my thumb nail. The force was great enough to not only cut my skin, and nail clean through, but it actually cut my bone into 2 larger pieces, and left about 50 smaller bone framgents in my finger. The ONLY thing that kept my thumb in tact is the small piece of skin on the 'pad' of my thumbprint area.....everything else was cut through and through..... I went to the hospital via ambulance, the doctors were able to re-attach the thumb with temporary sutures (psuedo sutures) to keep blood flowing to the tip, and to prevent infection...but NOT enough to actually STOP the bleeding totally, and seal up the wound..

I have an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon on Monday....

So this is just a reminder to all you guys out there that "have done this job before, I know what I'm doing".....I have taken apart the window regulator assembly at least 20 times before. I KNEW BETTER...I Needed to have pair of vice grips on the assembly to prevent that from happening. BUT I DIDN'T. I should have had my fingers clear of the assembly. BUT I DIDN'T. Usually if you have only done 1 of those 2 things, and you will be okay....but in my haste, I did NEITHER!..

SLOW DOWN...TAKE YOUR TIME...DO IT RIGHT

Take care,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DAMN!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that! Hope it goes well!

i was squirming around the whole time i was reading this.

hope the doctor can help.

i'm hoping they could save your thumb...i am sorry to here about your accident...

well, I pulled the wrap off of my thumb for the first time last night, and looks decent enough. the tip is pink,and while it is numb, it is also swollen from the broken bone. I can feel myself touching the tip of my thumb, so that is a good sign.

I will know more on Monday afternoon.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Ryan

Holy chalupa!!!!!!! When I saw the subject line, I was really hoping you were kidding just to get our attention! :(

Thumbs can take a surprising beating and make a comeback, hopefully you have good surgeons. It was good that you got the pieces to the hospital right away, that makes all the difference.

Hope they gave you some good drugs, or at least a hot nurse! :)

Mike

ouch....pictures?

ouch....pictures?

Please...no pics! I felt the ole drawstring pulling enough just from reading....

I agree that it's best to go slow and do things right. I cut through a tendon on my thumb with a pocket knife once while working on my...ahem...Suburban. It's weird when you can curl your thumb in, but not straighten it out. I had the pin removed three years ago and the thumb is still stiff to move and somewhat numb.

Best of luck to you. I sincerely hope all goes well and you heal up completely...

I did take some pics when I took the wrap off...but I won't post them here...it is a bit too much for even ME to look at, and it's MY FINGER!

Now I am out of work for a while.....won't know exaclty how long until after my appointment with the surgeon.

The surgeon doing the work is the best in the region....I have no worries there.

Thanks,
Ryan

Sorry to hear that, good luck with the surgeon.

it made me wanna hold my thumbs wile reading this.

My blood pressure and heart are going wild after reading this. Good luck.

Aloha, Mark

Man, good thing you didn't have that thing between your legs while you were taking it apart (for extra leverage on the fasteners, etc.)...

Makes me think I don't want to do that anymore.

Mike

Hope everything turns out OK. I changed my mind about doing mines because no one rides back there, lucky me.

Okay, I went to the doctor on Monday, and he said I COULD have surgery if I wanted to, but he didn't feel it was 100% necessary.....the angle the top 1/2is in relation to the bottom 1/2 is within reason, and I would be out of work for even longer if I had to have surgery, as a pin would be sticking out the end of my thumb for 4-6 weeks.

I get the stitches looked at again tomorrow....we'll see the progress, and what needs to be done from there..

Ryan

Holy crap! That sucks! Good luck with the healing.

A pin pocking out sounds pretty horrible. Hope all goes well.

If you know he's a great surgeon, and he's trying to talk you out of surgery, that's usually a really good sign. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, he truely is one of the greatest Orthopedic Surgeons around. I could have gone to Seattle for a Surgeon, but Dr. Watters is just about as good as it gets......

Thanks again!

Ryan

Back