Requested pic of the pillar pod install... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Requested pic of the pillar pod install...

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
I am not sure who it was but I remember someone asking how the pillar pods looked in the late model explorers... well, here ya go. They look pretty good in the picture but they look better in person. Lemme know what ya think. Also, anyone out there know of a really good molded carbon fiber dash kit?

Attachments

• blackbox - ****pit.jpg
    blackbox - ****pit.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,219

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

heres a dash kit man. Dead Link Removed

Here is a view of my A piller mounted "pod" gauges....

Attachments

• gauges1.jpg
    gauges1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,089

and another view.....

Attachments

• gauge2.jpg
    gauge2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,083

Aldive... what do those guages do? I'd like to get something like that to add to my 'all show, no go' theme.

Originally posted by 98FordX24
Aldive... what do those guages do? I'd like to get something like that to add to my 'all show, no go' theme.

The gauges are (1) transmission temperature and (2) voltmeter.

thats pretty cool were they hard to hook up? where did you get them? I like how they are digital.

thats pretty cool were they hard to hook up? where did you get them? I like how they are digital.

The gauges are from Dakota Digital. Their web site is at http://dakotadigital.com/.

The installation is shown in the following thread: Dead Link Removed

Al, 13.5 V? I know that is acceptable to charge, but I have heard X alternators put out like 14.5 at idle.

Where is your Volt measurement coming from?

Thanks,

Robb

Is your gauge pod made by Autometer or someone else? I have been after Autometer to build pods for the '91-'94 Explorer for the past several years, but I don't think they ever started producing them.

Anyone know of pods for the '91-'94s?

Originally posted by morrisey0
Al, 13.5 V? I know that is acceptable to charge, but I have heard X alternators put out like 14.5 at idle.

Where is your Volt measurement coming from?

Thanks,

Robb

I have never seen 14.5 v. The signal is from a switched 12 v power at the fuse vlock.

Originally posted by Rick
Is your gauge pod made by Autometer or someone else? I have been after Autometer to build pods for the

Rick, yes it is by Autometer ( http://www.autometer.com/ )m but I got it from Dakota Digital when I ordered my gauges.

The only problem with the pod is that it holds heat; the digital gauges generate a bit of heat ( normal according to Dakota Digital ). I am going to put some sort of vent in the pod to try to rid this problem ( if it is really a problem ).

Hey Aldive, notice you are number 1 in posts now?

wow... those digital guages are expensive! do you have to have the secondary trans. filter to do this? I'm worried about my transmission so this is something that I want to do.

wow... those digital guages are expensive! do you have to have the secondary trans. filter to do this? I'm worried about my transmission so this is something that I want to do.

You simply need a location to mount the sensor/sender; I mounted mine on the secondary filter housing.

If you are concerned about your tranny, the secondary filter is a great addition.

Good luck.....

hey LowdPypes- i see you have boost guage on top (of course:) ) and what looks like an air/fuel ratio guage on bottom. i am thinkin' about getting one of those later on, and would like to know how it hooks up. front or rear 02 sensor? splice into wiring at the sensor, or in the harness?

boost and A/F guages...

The boost is tapped right into a vac line off of the intake and the A/F guage is spliced before the harness of, I think, the first O2 sensor. It was rather easy and I have tons of pics if you need them. The pod is all hooked up to the dimmer and stuff so it is all functional. The AM guages don't really produce a hell of a lotta light though... (in other words, there was no need to attach them to the dimmer) but it works and looks great. Was going to install a NOS guage but it is really pointless for me... just to see how much is in the bottle. I always keep that bad boy full ;)

14.5 volts...no, your stock alternator will throw out 14.3 max on a explorers electrical system

Lo-Tek makes full pillar replacements, nothing for the Explorer right now though. It says on their site if you get a minimum order of 20 they'll make one for any vehicle.

Pics of a Lightning (F-150/Expedition)
fseries1.jpg

fseries2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be pretty cool. Do you know how much they cost?

Back