Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
Today I retorqued the spark plugs on my Explorer. I installed the new plugs the other week, and I torqued them to 11.5 foot-lbs as per Haynes recommendation. Their rec is 7 to 14 ft/lbs so I went with the midpoint.

Since then, I noticed a definite ticking sound at idle. I thought maybe it was the lifters or something like that, but I had never heard it from that engine before. I thought maybe I gapped them too much, but I suspected something else, so I got in there again.

It turns out that 11.5 foot/lbs was not enough torque, because #4 and a few other plugs were coming loose! I said a few choice words and then retorqued them, this time to 14 foot/lbs. Maybe I used too much anti-seize, and they came loose from the vibration and pounding?

After retorquing the motor runs quiet again. I can't get over it...

I am wondering if 14 ft/lbs is enough. It seems like a small matter, but I want to get things right...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where in your Haynes manual did you find the spark plug torque spec? I searched all through mine, but was unable to locate it. I just went by feel, and have had no ticking.

I didnt know there was a spec. I just make sure dem buggers are tight!

nick

This time I torqued them more. Sure has some a** now that it didn't have before when I step on it. When I get a flowmaster it will be nicer yet..

In my Haynes it lists the torque specs at the beginning of the 1st chapter. I believe it's 84 to 168 inch-pounds which better be 7 to 14 ft/lbs. eheh. In mine it's section 1-2.

I think there have been 2 different Haynes manuals printed (one older printing, and one later printing) since some people seem to have a different layout from what's been said here. My Haynes covers 91 to 99 Explorers and the latest copyright is 1999.

That explains it, I have the older version of the Haynes book. It covers 91-95, and makes no mention of torque for spark plugs.

Back