Reverse lights always ON.

willindsay

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sevierville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Yesterday I found that I had no bulbs in my Reverse light sockets. (Just bought the car less than a month ago). I looked up the bulb number on this site and then wen to AAP and bought some put them in and tested that they worked. Well today as I was leaving church a buddy of mine txted me and told me they were on when in drive. I checked once home and found they stayed on in every gear except in Park. I searched and Searched and can't find an answer.

So my question is does anyone know how to fix it or have a diagram explaining where all wires are ran and what they hook up to?

PS last owner had trans replaced 2yrs ago.

Thanks in advance.

It was to dark to chase wires once I got home so if I get off early enough I'll check tomorrow Just wondering what I should look for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with the neutral safety switch, Will the truck start in neutral, how about any other gears. If you answer no to starting in neutral or yes to any other gear, its time to replace the switch. Good news, they are only 30 bucks.

Even if its starting in the right gears, its still not a bad idea to replace it if your having problems, because it takes that out of the chase. If that fails to fix the problem, im afraid your going to be spending some quality time in your truck with a test light.

I agree with the neutral safety switch, Will the truck start in neutral, how about any other gears. If you answer no to starting in neutral or yes to any other gear, its time to replace the switch. Good news, they are only 30 bucks.

Even if its starting in the right gears, its still not a bad idea to replace it if your having problems, because it takes that out of the chase. If that fails to fix the problem, im afraid your going to be spending some quality time in your truck with a test light.

I checked this morning and I am starting in all the right gears is it still possible for it to go bad and start in the right gears. And is there a way to check it to see if it is functioning properly cause I would rather not replace it if it is fine.

Ok, i broke out the manual for the truck, wiring diagram has a Purple/Orange wire going into the Switch, with the key on, and selector in reverse, check for voltage on the Pink/Orange, should be ~12v. If you have voltage coming into the switch, If you have power into the switch, apply 12v to the Black/Pink and see if the lights come on. If you have no power into the switch, check fuse #5 in the fuse panel, if that's fine, check for voltage at the turn signal flasher, if that's fine, its a bad wire between the fuse box and the switch. I don't have a scanner to scan in the wiring diagram for this, If someone has a digital copy of this circuit could you post it here?

Ok, i broke out the manual for the truck, wiring diagram has a Purple/Orange wire going into the Switch, with the key on, and selector in reverse, check for voltage on the Pink/Orange, should be ~12v. If you have voltage coming into the switch, If you have power into the switch, apply 12v to the Black/Pink and see if the lights come on. If you have no power into the switch, check fuse #5 in the fuse panel, if that's fine, check for voltage at the turn signal flasher, if that's fine, its a bad wire between the fuse box and the switch. I don't have a scanner to scan in the wiring diagram for this, If someone has a digital copy of this circuit could you post it here?

THANK YOU that helps so much it's dark out now so I will check that tomorrow after I pick up family from the airport. For now I just removed the bulbs to save from getting pulled over.

I just reread you instructions and they seam to be for if the lights are not turning on mine are stuck ON no matter what gear I'm in. Maybe a little more info will help it's a 94 Limited with 150,000miles and on it's second trans installed about 20,000miles ago by previous owner.

ok, for some reason i was thinking they were not coming on
quick way to check to see if its the switch vs some problem later down the chain like a always hot being spiced in. if disconnecting it from the switch turns off the lights, check the resistance across the pins that match up with the purple/orange and pink/black, if its zero or close to it, replace the switch.

ok, for some reason i was thinking they were not coming on
quick way to check to see if its the switch vs some problem later down the chain like a always hot being spiced in. if disconnecting it from the switch turns off the lights, check the resistance across the pins that match up with the purple/orange and pink/black, if its zero or close to it, replace the switch.

Ok I'll give it a try once I get a chance. Any tips on getting the switch out? I tried today and couldn't figure out what size it was cause of the limited space. I tried an adjustable wrench and couldn't get the thing to budge. Would spraying it with PB Blaster hurt it or anything near it?

dont think its gonna hurt anything near the switch, unless you have a stryofoam cup up there, As far as getting it out, i really dont know, ive never had to replace one while its still in the truck. Is it something where you could pull he drive shafts, loosen the trans mounts and lower it on a jack to get room?

Side note, service manual says to use ford part # T74P-77247-A when removing the switch to avoid crushing or snapping off at the base.

dont think its gonna hurt anything near the switch, unless you have a stryofoam cup up there, As far as getting it out, i really dont know, ive never had to replace one while its still in the truck. Is it something where you could pull he drive shafts, loosen the trans mounts and lower it on a jack to get room?

Side note, service manual says to use ford part # T74P-77247-A when removing the switch to avoid crushing or snapping off at the base.

Ok I'm gonna try to get it out once I get a day off. If I can't I will get it done when I have the shop fix the leak in my Trans Case which will be before I head to college at the end of August.

Well I know it's been a while but I finally got it solved it was the Neutral Safety Switch it started giving me starting problems so it had to be replaced.

Back