Review on Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Review on Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit

I just wanted to take a couple of moments to comment on the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit that is sold in many auto parts stores. I hope this is the right forum to make this post.

I was at the point that I needed to replace the headlight lenses on my wife's 2003 Taurus and being a "path of least resistance" type of person, I read up on the restoration kits that are available. I settled on the Sylvania kit because it comes with a lens softener spray and a UV resistant coating and this sounded like a good idea to me. I picked it up for just $20 and found that absolutely everything you need is included with the kit. They even included a latex glove to keep you manicure meticulous!

I wish I had taken before and after photos because the results were astounding. Basically, the first step is to apply tape (included) around the headlight lens area to protect the paint. You need to use a double row of tape. Make sure you do this because the paint WILL get scratched if you don't. Then the lens cleaner and softener is applied and it removed a lot of grime and oxidized material. Then three different grades of sandpaper are used from a rough grit to a fine 2000 grit.

At this point I wasn't too impressed with the results as the 2000 grit left fine scratch marks in the lenses. Then I applied what I now refer to as the "miracle UV sealant" and it made all the difference. It filled in the fine scratches and immediately cleared up the lenses. Don't do this step in a dust storm because any dust flying around will stick to the UV coating before it dries and the results will not be nearly as good. Also, wait until both lenses are ready for the sealant before doing this step.

I only have an "after" photo of one of the lenses and it was taken when raining so it doesn't look as good in the photo as it does in person. Before the lens was about this cloudy:

B001AIZ5HY.02.lg.jpg

This is the after photo:

DSC00381.jpg

The entire process took about 30 minutes and for $20, and a small amount of elbow grease, I don't have to buy new lenses and spend the time to install them. There is enough UV sealant left to reseal the lenses again, if necessary. I am curious to see how long the sealant lasts. Heck, even if I have to do this once a year it is worth the price and not going through the headache of installing new lenses.

Back