ride height

swetrid

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Just wondering what your ride height from ground to fenderlip measurements are? My rear is 34" and the left front is 34" and right front is 35". I installed the monroe spring shock combo which raised the rear about inch and a half. The front seems high yet to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will not get a straight answer.
it will vary for everybody.

it's all dependent on ACTUAL tire size, tread wear, whether or not there is a torsion twist, amount of "wear" on the body mounts, leaf spring sag, torsion bar sag.

I think that about covers most of it.

if you want to check your ride height, I've posted this numerous times throughout the forum.

RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

To perform the ride height check and adjustment requires the use of special slip plates under the front wheels. These plates allow the front suspension to properly settle by bypassing the tires adhesion to the ground.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. If equipped with ARC suspension, disconnect the front and rear air lines at the shock absorbers.

2. Position frictionless slip plates under the tires then lower the vehicle onto the slip plates.

3. Bounce the vehicles front and rear suspensions several times to normalize the vehicle static ride height.

4. Measure the distance between the center of the lower control arm bushing bolt and the ground. Record the measurement as dimension A.

5. Measure the distance between the lowest point of the steering knuckle (but not the ball joint) and the ground. Record the measurement as dimension B.

6. Subtract dimension B from dimension A for ride height.

7. For vehicles without ARC suspension, ride height should be 4.33-4.56 in. (110-116mm). (Service Manual actually says it could be as low as ~3.5" with "worn"/used components. 4.33-4.56in is for "new" components)

8. For vehicles with ARC suspension, ride height should be 3.26-3.50 in. (83-89mm).

9. To increase the ride height, raise the vehicle and tighten the torsion bar adjuster bolt. Recheck the ride height.

10. To decrease the ride height, raise the vehicle and loosen the torsion bar adjuster bolt. Recheck the ride height.

11. Once proper ride height is established, raise and support the vehicle.

12. If equipped with ARC suspension, connect the front and rear air lines at the shocks.

13. Remove the slip plates from under the wheels.

14. Lower the vehicle.

Would you know if the torsion bars on the arc suspension are the same as the ones without? I'm taking the airbags out and am wondering if I should replace my torsion bars or just crank them up higher. Thanks

there are 3 different torsion bar codes.
I'm sure the Limiteds (or was it Eddie Bauers?) will have one of the same 3 codes.

Awesome. I heard there are 5 codes and i wasn't sure if one of them is specific for my eddie bauer or not

Awesome. I heard there are 5 codes and i wasn't sure if one of them is specific for my eddie bauer or not

eh.. I could be incorrect. There may be more.

Back