Right to Repair law contested by Ford backed organization | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right to Repair law contested by Ford backed organization

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH

Right to repair laws have been in the spotlight for years now after Massachusetts residents voted to approve a measure requiring that cars sold in the state starting with the 2022 model year come equipped with a standardized open access data platform that would allow mechanics and independent repair shops to access that data for diagnostics and repairs with owner permission, as opposed to the manufacturer permission that’s currently required. However, Ford-backed lobby group Alliance for Automotive Innovation has long opposed these types of right to repair bills, and recently came up with its own competing legislation on the topic in the state of Maine. Now, that same organization is asking the court to delay the implementation of Massachusetts’ amended right to repair law.

The updated right to repair law is set to be enforced starting June 1st, but the Alliance for Automotive Innovation has now filed an emergency motion to prevent that from happening. The organization argues that such a move will cause “irreparable harm” to its members – such as Ford – and would require those entities “to remove essential cybersecurity protections from their vehicles.”

The Alliance for Automotive Innovation has argued that the amended right to repair law in Massachusetts not only conflicts with several federal laws, but also poses potential safety risks and cybersecurity threats for users. A hearing on this matter is now scheduled to take place Thursday, at which time the court is expected to decide whether or not to approve this temporary restraining order.
----------------

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is nonsense. Maybe if the cars are so inherently vulnerable, they shouldn’t be online……

It's all about money and who gets to make the lion's share of it

It's all about money and who gets to make the lion's share of it
1685565448887.png

They are beat down so much on the cars cost, they are trying to make their profit up on the back end.

They are beat down so much on the cars cost, they are trying to make their profit up on the back end.

LOL, as if.

Average new car cost is now about $50k. Their mismanagement shouldn't be taken out on the consumer.

"According to Kelley Blue Book and the Bureau Of Labor Statistics, the average new car price at the beginning of 2023 is $49,388! That is an absurd amount of money to be spent on a car."

LOL, as if.

Average new car cost is now about $50k. Their mismanagement shouldn't be taken out on the consumer.

"According to Kelley Blue Book and the Bureau Of Labor Statistics, the average new car price at the beginning of 2023 is $49,388! That is an absurd amount of money to be spent on a car."
according to inflation calculator the explorer which cost 33560 in 98 would have been 62459.28 today. 62.5 for an XLT today is unfathomable! so i mean yeah its high, no doubt about it, but once you factor inflation in............maybe not so bad. but then again pay has not gone up 81% like inflation has since 98 haha

according to inflation calculator the explorer which cost 33560 in 98 would have been 62459.28 today. 62.5 for an XLT today is unfathomable! so i mean yeah its high, no doubt about it, but once you factor inflation in............maybe not so bad. but then again pay has not gone up 81% like inflation has since 98 haha
Like I was talking with my parents today our 94 explorer xlt was worth 17k back in 94 inflation it would be insane amount but then again I just look at the used car market.

Which partly explains why the average car on the road in the USA is 12 yrs. old, and getting older! I'm not the only one who couldn't have afforded that 33.5 K in 98, nor the 62.5K now, for a depreciating asset! (Could buy the 98 in 21 however, and run it till it conks out.)

Well, this topic derailed quickly...

Not sure I understand the necessity of this entire concept. What was wrong with reporting service to third parties like Carfax, etc.? Does every manufacturer need to have an Internet-based, government-regulated information center that tracks what each garage does to a car? Or am I misunderstanding what this technology is for?

The goal is to have a proprietary data storage system to record services done on a vehicle, like any service history would? Why fight over this when only half-ish of the companies that do things to your cars actually report it any way? I have got to be missing some thing.

LOL, as if.

Adjusted for inflation my Mountaineer was over 50k in 1998. There’s a LOT more tech and moving parts on the new Explorer. They must have been really overpriced in 1998.

As far as new automobile prices, part of the fault is big manufactures have large retirements and pensions to pay but also part of the problem is the American consumer that has to have a new vehicle every 5 years and put up with the high retail prices. in their brain it is saying "that is only $475 a month for a new car". For how long? I see so many potentially good trucks and cars sitting that may have just needed a $5000 new engine or a $3000 transmission rebuild but the owner won't get it repaired, even though they paid $40,000 just a few years ago when it was new. I see so many of the broken and neglected vehicles end up in junk yards, salvage yards and at other dismantling operations. You really see how strong that the "American use it and throw it away" mentally is strong and thriving.
On a bit of a different note related to "right to repair", I don't know if this is no longer the case, but TESLA car company won't sell repair parts. How are you supposed to fix a Tesla or get it fixed.
I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see this super high tech bubble burst as far as it is related to automobiles and a car company come out with something as simple as a mid 1970's vehicle that would be very affordable and reparable in someone's home shop or driveway. The company could make trillions of dollars.

As far as new automobile prices, part of the fault is big manufactures have large retirements and pensions to pay but also part of the problem is the American consumer that has to have a new vehicle every 5 years and put up with the high retail prices. in their brain it is saying "that is only $475 a month for a new car". For how long? I see so many potentially good trucks and cars sitting that may have just needed a $5000 new engine or a $3000 transmission rebuild but the owner won't get it repaired, even though they paid $40,000 just a few years ago when it was new. I see so many of the broken and neglected vehicles end up in junk yards, salvage yards and at other dismantling operations. You really see how strong that the "American use it and throw it away" mentally is strong and thriving.
On a bit of a different note related to "right to repair", I don't know if this is no longer the case, but TESLA car company won't sell repair parts. How are you supposed to fix a Tesla or get it fixed.
I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see this super high tech bubble burst as far as it is related to automobiles and a car company come out with something as simple as a mid 1970's vehicle that would be very affordable and reparable in someone's home shop or driveway. The company could make trillions of dollars.
Tesla sells parts, just not to blacklisted Vins.

As far as new automobile prices, part of the fault is big manufactures have large retirements and pensions to pay but also part of the problem is the American consumer that has to have a new vehicle every 5 years and put up with the high retail prices. in their brain it is saying "that is only $475 a month for a new car".

Americans are keeping their cars longer than ever. The average age of a passenger vehicle on the road hit a record 12.5 years this year, according to data gathered by S&P Global Mobility. Sedans like Holdsworth's are even older, on average — 13.6 years.

Since the pandemic struck three years ago, the average new vehicle has rocketed 24% to nearly $48,000 as of April, according to Edmunds.com. Typical loan rates on new-car purchases have ballooned to 7%, a consequence of the Federal Reserve's aggressive streak of interest rate hikes to fight inflation.

Used vehicle prices, on average, have surged even more since the pandemic hit — up 40%, to nearly $29,000. With an average loan rate having reached 11%, the typical monthly used-vehicle payment is now $563.

Auto mechanics have been struck by the rising ages and mileages of vehicles that now arrive at the shop in numbers they'd never seen before.

"You see cars all the time in here with 250,000, 300,000 miles," said Jay Nuber, owner of Japanese Auto Professional Service, a repair garage near downtown Ann Arbor, Michigan. "They haven't been really having major work or anything. They've just been doing the (routine) service."

What I see is either crashed or rusted out. Was looking at a nice 06 Explorer, but realized it's rustier than my 98 underneath!
Don't know if the gov't would allow a simple affordable vehicle, but bring them on!

You also can’t buy a bare bones car anymore.

Solid engine, manual trans or a simple auto. Manual HVAC controls, power windows. I don’t need heated mirrors and seats and steering wheels. I don’t need nav and all sorts of electronic bullshit. Keep the moonroof and premium audio.

No one sells a base model like that anymore.

Years ago I was looking at a new diesel pickup. Dodge offered a “tradesman” trim. Manual everything. Cloth seats. It was ****ing sweet. Price was right. Never pulled the trigger though, stuck with my explorers.

Solid engine, manual trans or a simple auto. Manual HVAC controls, power windows. I don’t need heated mirrors and seats and steering wheels. I don’t need nav and all sorts of electronic bullshit. Keep the moonroof and premium audio.

No one sells a base model like that anymore.

Years ago I was looking at a new diesel pickup. Dodge offered a “tradesman” trim. Manual everything. Cloth seats. It was ****ing sweet. Price was right. Never pulled the trigger though, stuck with my explorers.
Sure they do. I’ve got one, and with zero down my payments are $260.

you know not when the mitsubishi mirage and nissan versa start higher than a kia rio

also don't they still make the tradesman trim?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back