Right Turn Signal not working

Querys

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer Limited
Hello,
Yes I’m new but I just have my phone with me to post this short sentence.
I bought a 2013 Explorer yesterday but the turn signal on the right is not working.
Left is working normal.
I checked the fuse under the steering. OK.
I checked the bulbs, both OK.
The turn signal in the mirror is working high speed
The turn signal in the cluster is flashing with high speed
Any idea what i could check next?

Thank you very much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you check the bulbs? Swap them left to right and see if the problem follows. If it does you are done. If not then check the sockets to see if they are clean and not bent pins.

I removed the bulb and checked it with a multi-meter and I checked the socket with the multi-meter, if I have 12V (no power on the socket).
The hazard light and open/close flasher is not working on the right side, too.

Ok I had a couple of hours with the vehicle and have some news.
Someone messed up with the electric to make it legal in Germany. The cut the turn signal wires and reconnected it to other lines. Quite stupid.

But I got the front signal working, now I have to search for the wire, which connects the tail light (the color is purple, but I do not find it at the driver side fuse box).

Ok I had a couple of hours with the vehicle and have some news.
Someone messed up with the electric to make it legal in Germany. They cut the turn signal wires and reconnected it to other lines. Quite stupid.

But I got the front signal working, now I have to search for the wire, which connects the tail light (the color is purple, but I do not find it at the driver side fuse box).
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you by chance check the engine bay fuse box? Although there isn't a specific fuse for the right turn signal, there are fuses for the right and left turn signals for trailer towing. Not sure if they may have done something that effects that. Worth a look. I'm guessing the Explorer is back in the U.S.?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you by chance check the engine bay fuse box? Although there isn't a specific fuse for the right turn signal, there are fuses for the right and left turn signals for trailer towing. Not sure if they may have done something that effects that. Worth a look. I'm guessing the Explorer is back in the U.S.?

Peter
Hey Peter,

no the Explorer is still in Germany and will stay here until its end. My wife will get it as family car.
I checked all fuses in the engine bay and removed the relais for trailer turn signals (they are working fine by the way).

I assume somewhere a cutted wire to the tail lamp. I ordered the Haynes Repair Manual today, hopefully it has the wiring diagrams I need.

Furthermore I figured out, that someone removed the HID Headlights and replaced them with Halogen Police Interceptor lights. The sight marker bulb with socked and placed it somewhere else in the Headlight Housing to get a white parking light (instead of yellow, which is not legal in Germany).
Unfortunately the bulb got to hot and melted the Housing of the headlight. And I figured out, that two versions of headlights exists.
Turn lights with white bulb and yellow diffuser and lights without diffuser and yellow bulb.
The picture is a example from a Police Interceptor Utility with the headlamps I have on my Explorer

Next task, once I solved the turn signal, is the moon roof. The motor does not opperate (I guess it is broken).

Housing.png

Im very confused on this.. Limiteds had chrome door handles, painted front grills and not thise rims. Also, you cant just remove the HID bulbs and replace with halogen.

Looks kike you have a PUI version which comes with halogenz those door handles and possible those wheels.

The picuture is only an example for the headlights. It’s not my car. Sorry for confusion.
I assume someone fully replaced the whole headlight with a Halogen Version from PIU.
This is my car :)

58A9DF20-09FD-4BD7-BAF9-DDBB410708E2.jpeg

Definitely had the HID headlights from factory. I see the front park sensors for the parallel park assist which was only available on the Limited 302A package (303a if you had the 2.0 EB). These packages also had HID.

If the headlights were swapped then pins had to be changed on the headlight connector as well. I know this because I had to help another member rewire/repin his connector for HID lights in his Sport.

This diagram should help you out: 2013 Explorer Turn Signals

Thanks shelton! Do you maybe have a color coding table? I'm not completly familiar with the abbreviation
The vehicle is from Canada, but the VIN Check in Ford ETIS says it was manufactured with HID. Now it is Halogen (checked the bulb, and there is no HID Control Module).

Anyway I think I will stay on Halogen, the rest of the car is pretty nice, has only 25,000 miles on its odo and is fully loaded (except the Airbag Seat Belts, they were optional in Canada on Limited).

Thanks shelton! Do you maybe have a color coding table? I'm not completly familiar with the abbreviation
The vehicle is from Canada, but the VIN Check in Ford ETIS says it was manufactured with HID. Now it is Halogen (checked the bulb, and there is no HID Control Module).

Anyway I think I will stay on Halogen, the rest of the car is pretty nice, has only 25,000 miles on its odo and is fully loaded (except the Airbag Seat Belts, they were optional in Canada on Limited).

Yeah i got the same package and it has everything. When you get that turn signal figured out, start a new thread or shoot me a message about the sunroof.

Thanks for the great offer!
Could you help me out with the color codings? BN/WH = brown / white?

In regards to the moonroof issue. There are a few existing threads on that already.

Peter

In regards to the moonroof issue. There are a few existing threads on that already.

Thanks! I already have some hints. I guess it is the motor, because just nothing happens, when I use the buttons and the fuses are ok.
I will drop the headliner the next days and check the motor. A replacement motor is only 60 bucks.

Thanks! I already have some hints. I guess it is the motor, because just nothing happens, when I use the buttons and the fuses are ok.
I will drop the headliner the next days and check the motor. A replacement motor is only 60 bucks.
Does the shade work?

Okay checked the wire to the rear and it’s okay. When I put 12V manually in the wire the bulb illuminates.
So could be an issue with the BCM and that is quite hard to get in Germany.
Any other thoughts?

Okay I fixed a lot of issues.
But rear right still not working.
I checked the wiring and it ends at the top of the fuse box in a socket.
When I apply 12V on the wire the bulb is on. But connected to the fuse box doesn’t work.

Anyone know what this connector is? I found it right behind the Light Switch but he has no friend to meet :-(
Someone put a resistor in it with tape, no idea what this will do.
The wire goes up the A Pillar.

*edit* 27. Oct 2018: Connector is for th Collapsable Steering Column Air bag Sensor
*edit* 06. Nov 2018: you will find the solution here, incl. pictures and exchange instruction:
Differences Canada/US — Auto Lights

C04EA3F8-B992-4CB9-84E4-B27EED270EB4.jpeg

5ADABA6E-DEF9-4665-91B8-C6E7EDB2A8C9.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back