• Register Today It's free!

Robbery

Sarintha2020

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer
Hello! My name is sarinthia. I'm kind of bothered. Because my dad has a 2006 ford explorer, his engine went plus the timing belt and this Ford company charged him almost 9000 dollars . I know this isn't right. How do I find out what the real cost was?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

need a bit more info. the engine went plus timing belt? so is that engine replacement or just repairing the engine. also 4.0 or 4.6 engine price definitely matters there. the timing components in the ford v8 engine tend to be very costly and very time consuming job. i dont know about the costs on the 4.0

Welcome to this forum! A mechanic might have charged a couple thousand or possibly less for a junkyard engine to be installed. A rebuilt engine will cost a little more but that price is much higher than what the vehicle is worth.

It kind of is what it is. It was probably a timing chain, and a brand new motor. The motor was easily several thousand, and getting the work done in NYC probably isn’t a cheap date.

In no way does this qualify as a “robbery”. He agreed and paid for it voluntarily. If he didn’t get a proper estimate, we’ll this is gonna be a mighty expensive lesson. I’m sure he won’t forget it.

If it's the Ford dealer near where I live then I wouldn't be surprised. That place should have been closed years ago. They closed another Ford dealer, and a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. This place should have been the next one on the list. I don't know how they are still in business. All three places have stolen money from me in various ways so I could see their point. These places know how to take advantage of people, lie, cheat, and manipulate.

I've had similar experiences with several repair shops which weren't any better, and in many ways worse. Dishonest businesses give a low estimate, see something which they claim has to be repaired, then jack up the bill without letting you know that they did several other unauthorized repairs without your consent. Some of them claim that they replaced things but never actually did. If you ask them for the old parts, they show you parts from another vehicle which are obviously not even from a Ford product. I remember seeing someone on this site post parts years ago saying that they were charged, and it wasn't a part from their vehicle.

One time I ordered parts from the dealer to repair a power steering pump. Both orders were placed a day apart. The first order was $60 then the next day they charged $30 for the same part! I asked them why. The first one was "list price" but the second was my discount. I told the guy that both parts should be the same price. He said that they have a right to charge list price or offer a discount. I know that I wasn't forced to pay them, but they never never told me this when they placed both orders.

Another time a Lincoln/Mercury dealer didn't have a part in stock, asked me how bad I wanted it, and told me to wait a minute. He left the parts counter with a line of people waiting, then went into the repair area, and spoke to a mechanic working on a Taurus station wagon. He came out a few minutes later with a dirty part without a box or a receipt, and asked me for $10. I asked him where he got the part. He whispered to me saying that I should just give him $10. I feel sorry for the guy with the car being worked on. That same dealership sold me a defective transmission, made me wait a month until they ordered it after I paid the full price in advance, and only ordered it because I contacted the main branch in Detroit. The manager was mad that I got him into trouble after he stole my money. They wouldn't honor any warranty after they sold me the defective transmission. That same dealer was buying rebuilt CV axles, rack & pinions, and other parts from a local rebuilder, then selling them as OEM remanufactured parts with a huge mark up. I have a ton of stories to fill a thread but you get the idea of what crooks do to earn a dishonest living from people living from paycheck to paycheck.

They don't call 'em "stealerships"...for any small reason..

If it's the Ford dealer near where I live then I wouldn't be surprised. That place should have been closed years ago. They closed another Ford dealer, and a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. This place should have been the next one on the list. I don't know how they are still in business. All three places have stolen money from me in various ways so I could see their point. These places know how to take advantage of people, lie, cheat, and manipulate.

I've had similar experiences with several repair shops which weren't any better, and in many ways worse. Dishonest businesses give a low estimate, see something which they claim has to be repaired, then jack up the bill without letting you know that they did several other unauthorized repairs without your consent. Some of them claim that they replaced things but never actually did. If you ask them for the old parts, they show you parts from another vehicle which are obviously not even from a Ford product. I remember seeing someone on this site post parts years ago saying that they were charged, and it wasn't a part from their vehicle.

One time I ordered parts from the dealer to repair a power steering pump. Both orders were placed a day apart. The first order was $60 then the next day they charged $30 for the same part! I asked them why. The first one was "list price" but the second was my discount. I told the guy that both parts should be the same price. He said that they have a right to charge list price or offer a discount. I know that I wasn't forced to pay them, but they never never told me this when they placed both orders.

Another time a Lincoln/Mercury dealer didn't have a part in stock, asked me how bad I wanted it, and told me to wait a minute. He left the parts counter with a line of people waiting, then went into the repair area, and spoke to a mechanic working on a Taurus station wagon. He came out a few minutes later with a dirty part without a box or a receipt, and asked me for $10. I asked him where he got the part. He whispered to me saying that I should just give him $10. I feel sorry for the guy with the car being worked on. That same dealership sold me a defective transmission, made me wait a month until they ordered it after I paid the full price in advance, and only ordered it because I contacted the main branch in Detroit. The manager was mad that I got him into trouble after he stole my money. They wouldn't honor any warranty after they sold me the defective transmission. That same dealer was buying rebuilt CV axles, rack & pinions, and other parts from a local rebuilder, then selling them as OEM remanufactured parts with a huge mark up. I have a ton of stories to fill a thread but you get the idea of what crooks do to earn a dishonest living from people living from paycheck to paycheck.
I could write a book about dealers and mechanics in Brooklyn :lol:. I didn't know much about cars many years ago, got a brake job and he left axle grease all over the rotor. Lucky for parking brakes! That is why I work on my own cars.

But 9K is crazy. You can get 2 06 explorers for that price. Dad learned a lesson, he has to shop around. There are many, many shops in Brooklyn, and the price for that job probably varies between $2K-$10k. He could open up a complaint with the DMV, there are reasonable prices for repairs. It is also important to know if he approved the 9k repair or no estimate was given. Dealers are very expensive. I know in the mid-90s they were getting $120/hr, probably $200 now. So you can see where a 25-30hr job is going. But 9K for a 06 Explorer is crazy. It is not a Porsche.

Check the BBB's website for complaints about that dealership. Mechanics have a manual which tells them how long each job should take. This is how they give estimates. They calculate the cost of the parts then see how long the job should take to complete. Sometimes issues come up so it might take a little longer but not twice or three times as long.

We have a local. Advantage ford
But there is no advantage

When I was getting quotes to replace my v8, the labor was 20 hrs. That translates to about $3000 in labor and fluids in NY. Used engines were about 2k, new ones about 5k.
So 7k would be a price at the dealer and also from Jasper, I checked that too.
9K is way too much, unless they were also replacing other stuff; mounts, exhaust manifolds, ....
We don't know what else broke when pulling the engine, at that age many things go wrong.
Can we see the repair bill ?

Guys, I don't think this is a serious post.
"This Ford company...."???

I think it’s a language issue. I assume they means Ford Dealership.

Hello! My name is sarinthia. I'm kind of bothered. Because my dad has a 2006 ford explorer, his engine went plus the timing belt and this Ford company charged him almost 9000 dollars . I know this isn't right. How do I find out what the real cost was?
What shop did the work. Better yet, scan and post he work order so we can see what work was done and how much was charged for it. The main issue you are dealing with is if he authorized the work, he is screwed.

Hey, not all of us in dealerships are thieves. I have built my reputation as being honest, and I've been in parts since 1986. And I used to work in Brooklyn. However, I haven't done so since 1991.

Back