• Register Today It's free!

Rocker panel help

XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Wausau, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
Well i took off the tupaware the other day becuase after washing my truck i could see a nice hole staring back at me just above the side skirt. So i take the skirts off and this is what i am left with (refer to pictures). I to have become a victim of rocker panel disintergration. I know i need new rocker panels but i can not for the life of me, figure out where the dog legs are so i am not sure if i need new ones or not. Also what part would i need it is either part # 42 or 41 but i dont know which would be better. I was looking here at they list 2 types of rocker panels for a 4dr. Here are the pictures i took and if someone could tell me where my dog legs are that would be great. I have done some searching (read about 10 threads on this) on this topic but did not find the answers to my problems. I was planing on using some weld through primer on the new ones and then was they are on spraying them with some spray bed liner made by plasti-kote i believe. I was hoping to grind the old rockers off and then my cuz with a wire feed welder will put them on for me. Any suggestions are welcomed too. Thanks

This one is of my drivers side near the rear door
457959260gRIMnQ_th.jpg

This one is of the passanger side near the rear door
457958899gGFXiA_th.jpg

Dog legs are the pc that goes from the rocker up to the quarter panel between the door and the wheel well. It is that little lip of steel that is outside and wraps into the rear door opening.

Steve S.
To many to list.

mine did the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago. I pulled off the tupperware to inspect how rusty things were cause there were some rust holes forming. and when I pulled off the plactic...about 5 pounds of rust and chunks fell out.

I went to Macco for a quote 600 bux to repar 1 side

Ryan

Back