Rust repair: Dog leg, rocker panel, quarter panel DIY with pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust repair: Dog leg, rocker panel, quarter panel DIY with pics

///Manuel

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
After looking at the other DIY rocker panel repair on this forum (linky), I decided to go purchase an angle grinder and go at it. This is my first detailed DIY, I have to say I was fun doing it and didn't take me as much extra time as I thought it would.

I was quoted $1,500 for the job at Maaco and was able to get them down to $1,000 eventually with no paint job. But it was still too much for me and I thought the work would be fun.

First, I put the explorer on jack stands and removed the rear wheels for easy access.
Then, I pulled (by hand) whatever was left of the rusted dog legs (there wasn't much).

smallIMG_3009.jpg

smallIMG_3008.jpg

Put on my respirator and grinded away the rust, cut off about 1/2" to an inch from where the rust was.

smallIMG_3016.jpg

smallIMG_3033.jpg

smallIMG_3035.jpg

After the grinding was all done, I noticed some surface rust all the way down inside both rocker panels.
I purchased a garden spray bottle with wand for $10 at Lowes and filled it up with rust converter (or reformer).
The rust reformer came in a can and I had to drill out the spray tip to empty it out using a straw.

I cut the sprayer wand and reconnected it with a clear flexible hose about 5 feet long purchased at the same Lowes.
That way I was able to spray rust reformer well inside the rocker panels as well as up inside the dog leg.

smallIMG_3039.jpg

Once all of this was dry, I made a backing plate out of stainless steel which I polished and expoxied on whatever was left of the original backing plate.
Then I sprayed undercoat behind the plate and primed what would become the inside of the dog leg and rocker panel.

smallIMG_3038.jpg

smallIMG_3036.jpg

smallDSCF1005.jpg

Next was the dog leg alignment. I used clamps to hold the dog leg in place while I tried lining it up with the body panels and the door.

smallDSCF1011.jpg

It looked fairly good from the start. I had to cut a little bit more of what was left from the original parts.
I also bent the parts to make it looks the best. I bent the metal by hand for the most part.
I used a combination of cut-off wheel combined with the angle grinder and a pair of tin snips to reach in narrow places.

smallDSCF1010.jpg

I drilled a few holes in the various parts and temporarily attached them with screws.

smallDSCF1013.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the shaped of the new dog leg, I removed the screws and expoxied the leg to the body panels and secured it with rivets.

To cover the small hole towards the rocker panel, I cut up a steel plate and shaped it using a hammer. Again I used epoxy and rivets to secure the plate in place.
Both sides were done with similar techniques.

I used bondo-glass to fill in the gaps and smooth out transitions.

smallDSCF1030.jpg

smallDSCF1032.jpg

Now the toughest part was to fit cutom plates onto the back of the backing plate and the dog leg.
I had to cut two pieces to make the job easier. I had to curve one pretty much by hand so it follows the original curve of the fender. I then used steel epoxy to secure both plates in there along with rivets.

smallDSCF1031.jpg

Used bondo-glass on everything and sanded down.

smallDSCF1036.jpg

When all the parts were in place and no more metal work was needed, I used regular bondo to mask the remaining imperfections.
Then sanded some more (it was not easy to sand inside the wheel well.

smallDSCF1038.jpg

And finally applied the primer.

smallDSCF1039.jpg

smallDSCF1041.jpg

Took me a few days, it wasn't as bad as I expected. I thought I would run into problems but I never really did.
I think it turned out very well.

smallDSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1491.jpg

DSCF1492.jpg

DSCF1493.jpg

DSCF1494.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good stuff (Y)

Nice job Manuel! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I updated the thread with new pics.

What is this "rust" you speak of?

:p: :D
Nice job. ;)

Yeah fantastic job on this! :thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time to create this thread and for taking detailed pictures. I'm sure it will be a great help to others that don't have access to a welder and want to tackle this job..

Nice work, I wish I had the time to do this on my 94 XLT.... Very nice work...

This rust afflication is a deadly foe of the Explorer- cunning and almost invincible, it lurks were the darkness falls and moisture is its partner.....................once it has a hold it takes grip from behind panels were you cant see, then it erupts and will engulf and consume the Explorer in a deadly, deliberate merciless way....................Be warned keepers of the EX, the beast lurks near--------Keep the Ex close and warm away from the evil ways of moisture and rust.
I know of only one cure, a long lost chant from the tribes of the ebbwonty people of Malicanrey island in the pacific.......I will seek from the elders the words that will eradicate the evil one from the Ex for all time and post it here when I sobber eh?

Think that may help!
Hic!

I know of only one cure, a long lost chant from the tribes of the ebbwonty people of Malicanrey island in the pacific.......I will seek from the elders the words that will eradicate the evil one from the Ex for all time and post it here when I sobber eh?

Think that may help!
Hic!

Or move to the Central Valley of California. :p:

I'm new here and wanted to say. Very nice job without a welder. I need to replace the entire passenger side on my Ex. Luckily I have a welder at my disposal. I just need to talk to Ford to find out how much it is going to cost me for the new panels.

i have to say good job :thumbsup: did better than me when i had my '79 ramcharger 4x4,the removable top,the side pillars where they join the tailgate had rusted out real bad ...i fixed it tho...it's amazing what spray foam newspapers and bondo can do (hehehehe:D)

Nice work.

Strange that the door is rust free, the rocker panel is diseased badly...

I just need to talk to Ford to find out how much it is going to cost me for the new panels.

I don't have the link anymore but somewhere on here there is a link to a place where you can get the replacement panels pretty cheap. I wouldn't get them through Ford if you can avoid it.

www.rustrepair.com has decent body panel prices. Nice job. Shortly I will be replacing both sides of the entire rocker panel. Should be big fun. As for the door not being rusty, I don't thin that is common. These rockers tend to rot from the inside out. Water, and road grime find their way in, and never get out.

I bought my dog legs on ebay off of a seller with good feedback and received the items quickly. Prices were better than the places I looked at online. If you look for rust repair panels you will find a few websites.

I will post final pics of the entire car with the legs painted. I found I think what's called cashmere beige paint which matched the light mocha well enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was nice work for doing it at home without a welder.....I may have to try and attempt this if my rockers are worse than they look on the outside.

Back