Rust repair: Dog leg, rocker panel, quarter panel DIY with pics | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust repair: Dog leg, rocker panel, quarter panel DIY with pics

If you are leery of the JB Weld they do sell body panel adhesive which has an amazing hold strength.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the JB weld mostly as caulking. The rivets hold everything together.
Everything has held up really well.
I really like that fiberglass bondo, I have had great success with it.

When I do my rocker panel repair I think I'll use a combination of both methods. I'll rivet and use jb weld but before I rivet the pieces together I'll apply some body adhesive. Thanks for the tips guys and thanks for responding back Manuel.

Looks not bad when all was done, I am also a little worried about the bondo/adhesive holding up, let us know.
Thanks for sharing and thanks for the "linky"

Ok- If it is a slip-on panel (I think this is a 2-door pic):

rockerslipon.jpg

I'm assuming that those are the "fast and cheap fix" primarily to slip over and fasten onto the existing rocker, whereas the OEM style:

rockeroem.jpg

is the "good fix" and you would have to cut the entire old rocker out and off?

Just for searchers, here are the doglegs, they are also slip on...

979148L.gif

ballpark cost of the whole project?

Im tackling this too...

I have a 94 xlt and its only on the passenger side, The fender line is still there and, the only rusted out places are Flat spots, So im making my own patch panels and welding them on.

Here is what I started with,

6067665888_67c1600edc_b.jpg

2011-08-21_15-06-41_688 by Justinsdiy, on Flickr

and this, with all the rust spots gone,

6067120721_fe79685680_b.jpg

2011-08-21_17-11-39_492 by Justinsdiy, on Flickr

as you can see i have started repairing it. Just thought i would add this..

6274465601_99186fc04d_b.jpg

thats about what it looks like now, Its a lot smoother and harder to notice.

i gotta redo mine in the summer.. ive been avoiding taking off the tuperwear because i know what it looks like under it... but i think mine is gonna be piped for durability.

So the price is about right...
I've never played with body fillers and stuff like that. This will definately be a project, likely for the spring.

So the price is about right...
I've never played with body fillers and stuff like that. This will definately be a project, likely for the spring.

My first time as well. My dad showed me how, although he had only ever done it once. Its not easy, but then again its not that hard, you get the hang of it. I riveted the new metal in.

Back