Roof lights - wiring route? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof lights - wiring route?

I have in mind fitting some lights, maybe using a custom made roof bar, but how do you route the wiring from up there? Is it normal to drill holes through the roof or is there a better way??

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

youll need to drill holes in the roof or run it the ghetto way and run it under the trim panels and out the door:)

I drilled holes (three holes actually)

I had them run through the door sills, and haven't had any problems as of yet. Here's what it looks like.

View

If you go to this address, you can click on the picture and it'll show it full size. That way you can fully see what I did.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1331872&a=9907385&p=37371304&f=0

Good Luck with the project!

Drilling holes is definitley the cleaner looking method of the two, just make sure to seal around the wiring with silicone to keep out the elements. From there you'll need to drop the headliner down so you can get to it, not hard at all, just a pain to beacuse you need to take off the trim around the sides.

Thanks for the help!

Just to give a bit more detail of what I intend to do...

I have a suitable length of extruded aluminium section (4"x3"x0.125"), which I'll machine out to accept a line of rectangular lights inside (4 or 6 depending on what I can get). There will need to be plates or covers on the back to give access. The ends I'll machine off at an angle and make suitable brackets to lock into the roof rails. Integral with the brackets will be pivots, so the main light bar can rotate 200 degrees, I have some small geared motors, one of which I'll use to remote-control the lights so I can point it where I like - including backwards for when reversing. I can't anodise something that big - just won't fit my baths, so I'll either have to polish the alloy or paint it. The thing is likely to get v. hot so I need to think about that.

Chris.

Back