• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack Question

Coronach

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
OK, so, I am aware of the load limits stated in the owner's manual. 165 lbs for no moonroof, 75 lbs for moonroof. I am also aware that violating this is a dumb idea, it's unsafe, it affects stability, causes tooth decay, may lead to divorce, etc. Treat the caveats and disclaimers as read and understood, I am giving informed consent. I waive all legal rights.

I have a moonroof. I will occasionally have to carry a load that will be in excess of the moonroof limit, but below the no-moonroof limit. The assumption made in other threads about this is that it is a stability issue- the moonroof and associated mechanicals adds up to about 90 lbs, so this 90 lbs is removed from the safe roof rack carry limit, so as to prevent overloading and instability.

Are we pretty certain that this is what it is? Or is there a structural difference that limits capacity? Anyone know? Because if just loading the kayak and canoe on there and tooling down a back country road from the campsite to the lake is going to lead to structural issues, that's a problem. OTOH, if it is just a stability concern, I feel pretty safe going slow down a gentle rural road to the boat dock, and I can load the boats on the travel trailer for the trip from home to camp.

Thanks in advance, and no, I won't sue you. I just need to know what I'm getting into.

Mike :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is what the Manual shows Mike.
WARNING: When loading the roof
racks, we recommend you evenly
distribute the load, as well as maintain
a low center of gravity. Loaded vehicles,
with higher centers of gravity, may
handle differently than unloaded
vehicles. Take extra precautions, such
as slower speeds and increased stopping
distance, when driving a heavily loaded
vehicle.

This leads me to believe it is a stability issue rather than a roof strength issue. I'm sure the vehicle has to meet the same roll-over standards whether it has a moonroof meaning the roof's ability to handle the load is not an issue.

Peter

Here is what the Manual shows Mike.
WARNING: When loading the roof
racks, we recommend you evenly
distribute the load, as well as maintain
a low center of gravity. Loaded vehicles,
with higher centers of gravity, may
handle differently than unloaded
vehicles. Take extra precautions, such
as slower speeds and increased stopping
distance, when driving a heavily loaded
vehicle.

This leads me to believe it is a stability issue rather than a roof strength issue. I'm sure the vehicle has to meet the same roll-over standards whether it has a moonroof meaning the roof's ability to handle the load is not an issue.

Peter
I completely agree. It logically follows. However, I'm still slightly concerned about the structure. I understand that no one except a Ford engineer can give a definitive answer on this, but does anyone know anything about how the roof is constructed, and can they point to a reason why there COULD be a structural issue at play? For instance, is there a structural cross piece that is absent in the moonroof-equipped vehicles, due to the panoramic moonroof running such a great distance fore-and-aft? This is a very different setup from the previous generation. I'm not saying that I think there IS one, it's just possible that there is.

Thanks,

Mike

Hmmm. Good info. So there are cross pieces where the moonroof is. Now I wonder about their purpose- just to provide rigidity to the roof panel, support/space the headliner, or whether they support the rails, which seem to bear the weight from the luggage rack.

I was thinking they may be there to offer fastening points for the headliner and dome light.

Peter

Back