• Register Today It's free!

rough idle, wont start sometimes

white91x4x4

Reaction score
City, State
bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 x 4x4, 2010 challenger
im having a few issues with my explorer. i've done my research and have a few ideas what could be causing the issues but before i start dumping money into it i might as well get some opinions. so heres the story, when i start the truck when its cold it runs totaly fine. then after driving around a bit if i shut it off it wont start again (engine cranks but wont catch) and if it does start it runs rough enough that the truck shakes. then it makes some poping sounds and stalls. while this is happening i can put the gas peddle to the floor and it doesnt do anything. if i let it sit for awhile (ussualy catch a ride home and let it sit over night) then it will either start fine or do the same thing. if i try and start it a bunch of times it sometimes just starts fine. also after driving it for awhile if i put it in park and let it idle it sometimes starts to idle rought and stall. never seams to have a problem as long as it keaps moving or doesnt idle to long.

aaaaand a bit more of a story, last time i had the truck out i stoped to go for a walk and it didnt start when i got back. so i walked almost 10 miles to get into cell service and got a ride home. went back the next day and it fire up and stalled. did this like 5 times then it started fine. but as soon as i put it into gear and got it reved past 1500rpm it would start to sputter again. so i started to just idle the truck home. was half way there and suddenly it was working fine.
my first thought was the fuel pump but i can hear it doing its thing when i first turn the key over.
and ive changed the fuel filter.
from the research ive done it seams like it could be a number of things. the throttle position sensor? the fuel regulator? ecm? o2 sensor? engine coolant sensor?
where do you all think i should start?
i have a lifted 93 parts explorer in the yard that i **** beat and retired that i can use for parts before buying new stuff because it ran mint untill the tranny exploded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start by pulling the fault codes.

Post 'em up here, for better diagnosis.

My first guess, based on your description would be this:

It's the temp sensor for the PCM

The one "near" The housing for the PCM looks like this.

It is a bad Temp sensor.
getimage1_zps781cd8f5.jpg

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=951148&cc=1119631

Been here, done that already on the 94.

Flooding because the PCM "thinks" the engine is cold... .

There are (2) sensors, so make sure you change the one that has a cone on the end of it, next to the thermostat housing.

Seems like we are having a rash of these right now. Warmer temps outside?

Ya its starting to warm up. Its been 30 degrees Celsius here so pretty much summer temps. I tried to pull the codes but I couldn't figure it out. Seamed like all my codes were like 869 or 978 or 789. They were all really high numbers that didn't correspond with any codes I could find.

Time to steal the temp sensor out of the 93"

i pulled the sensor out of my parts truck but its getting dark and ill need to get some coolant before i put it into my 91.

anyways heres a few pics of what im working on. the parts truck is the one with the front end pulled out and on the ground infront of it lol

IMG_20140501_202015_zps2s5u8grk.jpg

IMG_20140501_202057_zpsbl4tac5v.jpg

IMG_20140501_202030_zps7onotwds.jpg

and heres a pic of a random plug just hanging under the hood. i couldnt find where it goes so maybe its part of my problem??? anyone know what it is or if it could be related?

IMG_20140501_203445_zpsuu9dry76.jpg

I think that is the wires that hook to the A/C comp. I dont think that is your problem . you need to check your fuel pressure , fuel regulator etc. I will venture out & say if you replace the temp. sending units , & install new or rebuilt injectors , plus a new regulator your problem will go away . That is if your fuel pump checks out ok . :)

Back