RPM & Speedometer Arrows Offset | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RPM & Speedometer Arrows Offset

Marlon65

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi to all, my Explorer 2004 at 106,500 KM has a problem with both RPM & speedometer arrows at the wrong starting points, see image below:
ExplorerPanel.jpg

Anyway, this problem started only four days ago. When I was about to start the engine that early morning, it didn't crank. I realized the two-year old Motorcraft battery was totally dead. I checked my record, this battery was purchased in August 2009. But after installing a brandnew battery, everthing seems to be ok except for the RPM and speedometer arrows starting points. Both are working fine since both moves clockwise as before when it is up and running. My Explorer (here in Kuwait) normally has an warning beep alarm when it exceeds speeds at 120 KPH, but this time the beep comes at 145 KPH. Same case with the RPM arrow, it starts at 4:00 clock position but moves clockwise to 5:00 clock position at idle speed.

I'm thinking of dismantling the panel this weekend to move the arrows to the correct starting positions just like how you would fix a wall clock when it's not in the correct position. Any help will be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to host your pictures on a site like photobucket, linking to your desktop doesn't work...

Thanks Joe, it worked! I'm now a member of photobucket.com.

Looks like the tach needle is just flipped over the gauge. If you pop it open, you should be able to flip it back counter clockwise and it'll be fine. The speedo? Weird. I wonder if someone pulled it off, and couldn't get it back in the right location? If you have a GPS, you could pop the needle off, and try to re-attach when you're going a speed you're sure of and see if it zeroes out when stopped.

Thanks JoeDirt, i finally had the time to do it, see linked photos below for others to see:

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

It took maybe two hours, but free of charge. I'm sure i can do it again for half the time. Once the panel is out, you can easily turn the dials counter clockwise to the zero position using one of your fingers.

Awesome... Glad you got 'er fixed! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the update/resolution and pics also- definitely helps when other people have issues to work on...

Back