RU planning to put a 302 in your X? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RU planning to put a 302 in your X?

So you think you want to put a 302 in your 91 to 94 Four Wheel Drive Explorer? My advice is plan, then plan some more. Ask questions, then plan, and finally ask more questions then plan. You get the point. There are several sources for doing this swap with Rangers. Most of this info is usable on the Explorers. However, some options do change the way things fit. My ABS motor on the 94 XLT is making it tough to mount a radiator. Also, Size does matter! 302’s are the easiest fit. There is not much room in the older Explorers, so anything bigger than the 302 ( Size wise, not Cubic inch wise ) is hard to squeeze in there. Yes 427’s can be made to work, but why spend all the extra money redesigning the frame? Doing this conversion takes Time and Money, Be patent and you’ll enjoy the outcome. Try to rush it and things can go south real quick.

I started my project 9/27/00. Yep, over a year ago. Just proof that this is an addicting sport when you can sit for a year and still long for the offroad experience. Looking back, the biggest single improvement I could have made to this project would have been using a Donor vehicle. First choice would have been a 96 model 2WD V8 Explorer. Second choice would have been any 89 to 93 Mustang GT.

Donor vehicles can be picked up from Salvage or Insurance pools. Also, find a friend that can purchase from the Auto Auctions. High mileage Mustangs are going for $500 running ( who cares what the body looks like ) and the Explorers are going for around $3000. With the Donor vehicle you get all the brackets and wiring. Very important. Using the Explorer, you get the all-important clearance for your radiator.

Even with the Donor vehicle it is a great idea to have the motor rebuilt. It is out of the vehicle, do it now. Should cost around $1500 depending on how crazy you get. Cheap insurance. I don’t want to ever pull my motor out of my Explorer again. So rebuild it now. If you’re using an automatic, you’ll need to get Advance Adapters kit. It’s about $900 bucks and includes the output shaft. Have a good tranny shop rebuild your tranny using the new output shaft that fits your Transfer case. If you’re using a manual tranny, I don’t know what to tell you. Refer back to paragraph one.

Other thoughts…..

Make sure you line the motor up correctly. If the motor mounts are not lined up right then you will have the back of the transfercase to far left or right, and it’s time to start over. Pull the motor and reweld mounts.

Fuel Rails….This stuff is expensive. You can hook up the fuel lines on a 94 XLT using 96V8 Explorer parts. It's 4 separate parts and cost about $180.00 ( Go to a salvage ) The fuel rails connect at the back of the intake into extension lines that hook directly to the hardlines coming from the gas tank. Custom fuel line is expensive too, so refer to paragraph 1 and decide which route you want to go.

Exhaust…This is a mess on my truck. I went the shortcut route and tried to use Mustang Shorty headers. They did not work on my truck. Purchase the custom headers from Kaufman or one of the other vendors. Once past the manifolds I have a nice 2 ½” true dual set-up with Cat Convs. & 02’s. I will pass emissions.

Wiring….. This was another tough area. The explorer uses a fuse relay panel and the mustangs don’t. So I had to somehow merge the mustang and Explorer Harness. A good friend on this board did this for me. Fox wiring charges $600 for a new harness, but it bypasses the Fuse relays. I wanted it to be factory looking under the hood so I paid a friend to do this wiring for me.

Cost…..Well that’s hard to nail down. There are bargains everywhere if you do your homework. My estimated cost is between 5 & 7K right now. Can’t get an exact cost due to several issues that occurred during this project. It is not a cheap conversion. It does make swapping to a solid axle front seem less painful to the wallet though.

At this time my project is still in progress. I ran out of time, so I’m using money to finish the project. I have another friend finishing the truck. He is being paid well for what is left. I saw first hand the LT1 vette motor he put in another friend’s jeep. It looked factory, so I asked if he could finish mine. It was hard to find a shop to do this project because of all the potential for custom or fabricating work to make this combo work. I am glad I stumble across him. I’m hoping to have this finished this year or maybe in January. Plan on seeing everyone in Phoenix!

Good Luck and enjoy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search and search and search.... Then realize no one to my knowledge has done it in an 01sport... the newer trucks have lots more electronics... All of the V-8 swaps i know of have been done on the older 1st gen explorer... But i coulda missed trucks now and then, but it's a whole lotta work

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by Johhny Island
I have a question what would i need to do a swap on my 2001 Ex Sport. I was told i needed an engine thats the same year. Is this true and if so what else besides the Engine, Transmissin, and computer do i need. Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.
Johnny, you need to check legalities of a swap in your area. You should also buy the factory service manual for the 2001 models as well. Because like you said, in most states you need an engine from the same year, which means the only 5.0 you can use is the one from the 2001 4-door explorer.

I've got a 88 ranger with a 92 5.0 HO fm a Mustang
used C-4 TCI tranny, advanced adapter to stock t-case,
L&L Headers the only ones out there worth a sh*t the advanced adapter ones suck !!!! and an x radiator I sold my 92 x w/6" lift and 33" thornbirds to build the ranger should of put the motor in the x though.....oh well
I will post pics when I can. But definetly plan,plan,plan
its not that hard or expensive if you can do most of the work yourself

I am in the very early info gathering stage of doing this conversion to mine, is there anyone close to Eastern Pa who has done this so I can get an eyeball on it?

Ok i have a project!!! I have a 98 sport 2dr 4.0ohc. Now i'm looking to drop a 5.0 in. I been looking around and researching and i came up with the point that the 88-93 wont fit because the front end of the 5.0 to the radatior would only give me 3/4" clearence (thanks to the people on the under the hood forum for the help and info) now i was told the 94-95 5.0 would fit comfortably under the hood with room to spare.....:D

I'm dead serious about this project, i've been working on chevy cars all my life but now i've turned to ford for some new adventure. I was thinking about getting a junkyard 5.0 and re-doing the ENTIRE engine. All aftermarket parts. (yea i wanna run 10s lol) i'm a krazy speed freak but i do have alot of knowledge about engines, custom work etc but it's all on chevys so i dont know how mch it will help me with my 98 x 2dr but i sure want alot of power.:thumbsup:

I would like to go the cheapest route but if i need to go alittle high because of the structure of the chasis or frame from the transfer then i will because i want this engine.:eek:

:banghead: Anyone who could give me info to do this project i would be greatly appriciative because as far as i have looked i have not seen the 5.0 swap in a 98 sport so i kno this will be a project for everyone to see but from the info that i kno and the research i did i know it can be successful!!!

:chug: If anyone could give me some extra knowledge i would be more then appriciative!!!!:D :D

The swap into a '95 and newer truck isn't really considered a swap. Mainly because the '96 and newer X's had the option of a 5.0L. Your route is simplier then the older trucks, find a factory X in the bone yard and rape it for it's engine mounts, accessory drive, hoses, fuel rail, intake, exhaust or hell take the whole engine and use that as your base . For better hedders order the Motorsport hedders right from Ford. Now the only problem that will come up is the dreaded emissions. Most certainly in your area you will have to conform to the local emissions laws and this will mean that the computer controls will have to be from at least the same year of vehicle. That would mean pirating from a '98 X. You may want to check with local emissions laws on that fact first.

The nice thing about swapping from the 4.0L to the 5.0L in your truck is that it it is a near bolt-in affair. Goodluck and keep us informed as to your progress.

please do explain exactly how hard a 1995 4.0 swap is to a V8. I have a 95 with a blown motor and would love ot swap it all out for an 8. Im located in CT and if it fails emmisions 3 times and a mechanic can sign off on it they give you a pass sticker. what are my optinos please
Thanks
Dean

If you found a complete wrecked Explorer with a 5.0L, the swap would be a matter of swapping in the drive train. The wiring maybe the hardest part because Ford will keep some harness interchangeable and for some reason others are not. The conversion would be as difficult as your mechanical abilities make it.

I hope this helps abit.

Would it matter what year the V8 model explorer was? like if i wanted to do a 98 model swap or a 97, would it matter? it is an auto also but i think i would swap everything including transfer case...please do give me as much imput as possible.
thanks

I too am considering the 5.0 swap for my 98 Sport (currently have the SOHC). No emissions testing here in Fl, so I'm in the free and clear there. I was terrified when I saw the first post, but I guess its really not so bad on the newer Explorers since there is a V8 option (for the 4 door anyway).

If I do this, I plan to throw in at least forged rods and pistons. Go ahead and port/polish the heads and maybe a new cam. I think a self oiling procharger would top it off nicely. Might need to beef the trans up, but I dont know.

My only real complaint with the explorer is how slooooow it is. I've been looking around, but cant find a performance vehicle that doesnt sacrafice too much. The mustang cant put more than 9yr old in the back. Lightnings only seat 2 (3 for short trips). I just dont know what to do.

It wouldn't make a difference which year you found. Just as long as it's complete. Engine, tranny, transfer-case, hedders, y-pipe, mounts, hoses, throttle cable, intake ducting, vaccum hoses, tranny cooler lines, tranny shifter cable, and complete wiring harnesses. It may also be cheaper and easier to just buy a 5.0L Explorer in this case.

I am a little confused here. When I put the 302 in my x, I was told by numerous shops that there is no short water pump for a Ford Small block. They said my best chance was out of Summit.

As for the Radiator. I am telling you, a 2 core radiator will fit behind your grill, and is hidden out of site. I bought dual electric fans in a shroud. The shroud is the same size as the opening that the stock radiator got its air through. I think the fans are from Be Cool, and have a thermastat with them. No problems as of yet.

For all of you out there who want to adapt a c-4 to the electronic transfer case in the older X's, you do not have to buy the adapter from advanced. Find yourself a C-5. They are the same as a c-4, except they use a lock up torque converter. You can either put your valve body on the c-5, and use your converter, or the tail shaft and rear adapter can be put into your c-4. Either way is so much cheaper than buying one of their adapters.

Just some thoughts for you all, keep designing and thinking.

Dead Link Removed

Thats my toy.

dang thats alot of planning i woulden't mind it though they are pretty fast bye doing a few things to them

It is not that bad at all, and the trade off are minimal.

You only gain a small amount of HP, but the torque gain is enough to go through the trouble.

Props to everyone whos submitted to this thread, its really helped me out alot!!!.. Im just haveing problems finding specific info on my particular application, I want to build up a 91-94 with 2WD and a 5-speed with a 302 But everywhere I look most of the details given are for an AOD and T-Case, which I wont be using either of...If anyonehas done or is planning this specific conversion let me know, we can swap some ideas... For now I just gotta keep plan plan plannin... :confused:

E-mail me at dspeedfreak@hotmail.com .n The first conversion I did was a 2wd 5.0L, AOD. A 5 speed would be similiar, I can probably answer most, if not all of your questions.

5.0 Swap

Swapping can be expensive or not. Found 2000 Xpl 5.0 engine w/ 28k miles at the first junkyard I came across limping home with poor oil pressure. Explorer 5.0s have iron GT40 heads and Cobra like intake w/ 65mm TB. Also have recessed accessory brackets, unique timing cover/water pump, and oil filter adapter for clearance. Special cast iron exhaust manifolds. This motor unfortunately for you guys is going into a van w/Ford Mass Air conversion kit but I will not use the external unique parts and have posted them in the Parts for Sale forum. HO mustangs have all been scavanged around here and they don't have these parts. Ford pickups and vans also have rear sump oil pans but not mass air. Hope you can use this info and good luck.

hey guys -
i got a 351m coming my way. i was ogin to put a stadnard 5 speed and manual shift tcase that was in bronco or f-150....

wiring is the thing that i gotta work ou tin my head. do i jsut get a book and match wire for wire or is there a wiring harness that i can buy? this swap shouldnt be much differnt than a 5.0 just more fitting issues. migh thave to modify the forn clip to get everythign in there. also might have to keep the body lift to clear stuff as well.

give me all the info you can. i plan on doing this this year. in a few months if and when i can afford tranny and t case.

WE had the option to get V8 with the 94 we got

Back