• Register Today It's free!

How much fender to cut out?

1981gMachine

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT, 5spd
Ok, I know I haven't posted much here. I was searching the forum about body lifts and fender flares. Everyone seems to hate body lifts and no one makes 1st gen flares. Now my xploder has a lot of rust in the bottom of the fenders, doors, and rear fender. So I was thinking about just cutting the openings bigger to fit larger tires. Now, I can do this, I'm a painter for a Ford Dealership and also do body work.

92 Explorer
5spd
4 door XLT

My question is how big of tire can I fit with stock suspension and body lift with cutting fender and quarter flare larger. I know 30x9.5 can fit stock. I was thinking of buying a set of cheap 8-10" wide rims to push the tires out a lil further.

- When I think 34's, is that too big even if I hack away most of the fender?

- How much clearance around the tire would you guys say is safe to have.

- What's the bolt circle pattern for a 1st gen explorer?

Oh, I don't really offroad this, it's my DD and has 137,000 miles on it. Needs to last. Just wanted bigger tires and possible fix some of the rust issue at the same time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well have 36's but thats with a 3 inch body and 5.5 inch lift. im not sure sure you will get 34's to fit with just cutting because if you turn you will rub...to get it to fit you would almost have to cut into the doors i would think...

3in BL with stock wheels, you can get 32's with a little rub. Trim a little around the back of the fender, and your good to go like taco bell. You cut alot and you might can get 33's on stock wheels. If you want 34's and don't care about flexing for offroad, get you about a 2 in lift, get the 3 in body lift, trim the fenders A LOT and you can run 34's...Barly. You will probably not be able to turn without rubbing the frame.

You CAN fit 35"s with no suspension or body lift. The guy in my club who has done this to his doesn't run fenders at all and had to do some firewall modification...but they fit.

if you dont mind a little bit of al lift, get some spacers for the front and shackles for the rear...i imagine if you cut the hell out of the fenders, you could fit something like a 33x10.5...you would want an 8" rim though, 10 would be pushing it i would think.

You wont know how much fender to cut out until you get the tires and rims mounted on the truck with the lift and cycle the suspension

Basically every single explorer thats lifted and every single wheel and tire combo will have different results, so there is no answer to "how much to cut out" it varys

You can cut from mild to wild to clear the biggest tires you can fit, or you can run the tires and then cycle the suspension to show you where and how much to cut

I was thinking of buying a set of cheap 8-10" wide rims to push the tires out a lil further.

- When I think 34's, is that too big even if I hack away most of the fender?

- How much clearance around the tire would you guys say is safe to have.

- What's the bolt circle pattern for a 1st gen explorer?

Oh, I don't really offroad this, it's my DD and has 137,000 miles on it. Needs to last. Just wanted bigger tires and possible fix some of the rust issue at the same time.

Don't go any wider than an 8" wheel, especially if you're not lifting. Your biggest problem will be rubbing while turning, and not just on the fenders or front bumper. You'll be rubbing the radius arm and like Dopler said maybe even the frame, which really isn't a big deal, just annoying.

- 34s will be tough to fit, because of the firewall not the fenders.

- If you're just DDing this truck, you don't really need much clearance at all.

- The bolt pattern is 5x4.5" with stock backspacing of 4.5"

You can cut the rocker panels off completely if you want and save yourself some rust repair too.

what bout regearing,

what bout regearing,

yes, how large of tire can I get away with without re-gearing the front and back?

You can cut the rocker panels off completely if you want and save yourself some rust repair too.

Can you elaborate on this a bit. Anything go in place of this? Slider bar etc...

Check the tag(metal tag on the outside, rear cover) on the rear pumpkin for axle ratio. If it has never been into(the Pumpkin) it should be there. I don't remember if they printed the info on the door sticker or not.

I think I missread your original post. Are you putting a body lift on or no?

yes, how large of tire can I get away with without re-gearing the front and back?

Can you elaborate on this a bit. Anything go in place of this? Slider bar etc...
IMO 31s is the biggest I would go without regearing for more than one reason.

For the rockers, if you do go with 33s replacing them with a slider/step would be a great idea for protection and making it easier to get in and out.

Axle codes on the inside door panel

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

I cut my rockers out completely and put my sliders where they use to be. I REALLY like it as all in all I gained 2"s of body clearance with no lift :D

I think I missread your original post. Are you putting a body lift on or no?

IMO 31s is the biggest I would go without regearing for more than one reason.

For the rockers, if you do go with 33s replacing them with a slider/step would be a great idea for protection and making it easier to get in and out.

Axle codes on the inside door panel

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

I found the tag last night but I couldn't read it through the rust. I'm gonna go and cut it off so I can better clean it up. I also found on the forum the list of codes.

But as for body lift, I wasn't planning on it. Everything on the underside of the vehicle in rusted. If it wasn't so bad with rust I'd lift it by way of suspension and body. But it's just not worth it in my case.

I cut my rockers out completely and put my sliders where they use to be. I REALLY like it as all in all I gained 2"s of body clearance with no lift :D

Could I see a picture of where you cut the rockers off at?

Could I see a picture of where you cut the rockers off at?

I'll second that request - probably p*** me off that I just spent $150 on replacement sheet metal.

-- Rob W.
Poconos, PA

You CAN fit 35"s with no suspension or body lift. The guy in my club who has done this to his doesn't run fenders at all and had to do some firewall modification...but they fit.

does not sound very smart.....to much work for a little outcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With your gear set, you would HATE anything bigger than 31s. You would never be able to use overdrive again.

Here is a chart I found that illustrates tire size and engine RPM. Note that the chart does not factor in overdrive.

Try to stick within the factory spread on gear sets and you'll be happy (black range). If you play around a bit and want better performance, go one notch above factory (green range) (i.e., 4.56 with 33s - better acceleration, less economy). Lower than factory performance is in the blue range -- and your truck with 31s would fall into the white range -- unnacceptable for most uses.

Tire_Char_for_postingt.jpg

As far as ultimate tire diameter, you can run 33s on 8" wheels with the proper back spacing without a lift if you are willing to hack away. With an Explorer in your condition, I'd think that hacking the fenders would be the least of your worries. I've cut mine open quite a bit and 33s fit easily and 35s would fit also. I am running a 3" body lift and virtually no suspension lift.

In front, I've cut the fenders back to the last bolt that holds them on the bottom edge by the doors. I also rolled the edge so it doesn't cut the tires. Out back, I removed the entire lower edge behind the tires. Here is a picture to illustrate. I can easily stuff the 33s with no hits anywhere, except the inside of the fender well out back.

15014Explorer_Flex_1.jpg

Back