83-92 ranger cut out flares on Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

83-92 ranger cut out flares on Explorer?

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
I cant seem to find any cut out flares to fit the front fenders of my 93 Explorer, but Bushwacker DOES make them for a 83-92 Ranger. Now from looking at my 90 BII they SHOULD work? right? Any help would be appreciated. I have spare Electric Current Red fenders and am considering either using cut out flares or having the fenders cut and rolled to get rid of my rubbing issues with 33s. I could lift it higher.. but thats too much of a headache and its already tall enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is it rubbing?? I'm on 34s with only 2". I cut at the lower corners of the fender openings. What wheels are you using? Stock-backspaced wheels can supposedly clear 33s with no lift.

If you offroad at all you'll regret the purchase of those cutout flares, they are spendy and will get knocked off. Just get the sawzall out and trim the rear of the fender.

Yeah, that's not a big deal, man. Look at my pictures.
Take off the tire, unscrew the fender liner from the fender lip, then peel it back and tuck it behind the brake caliper.
Take a BFH (big fawking hammer) and hammer down all those pinch seams.
Now cut across the bottom of the fender liner so it can pull back out of the way, but still keep mud/etc from entering the engine bay.
Drill a hole into the plastic liner in the lower outside corner (I used an existing hole from where it screwed into the fender lip.)
Push the liner back on the outer edge and zip-tie it through the hole in the fender bracing close to the door. You'll see what I'm talking about once you get it peeled back. You may need to remove the foam strip from inside the fender at the door to get this done.
On the inner side, drill/cut a hole into the lower inner corner and zip-tie it through the frame. There's a hole in the frame perfect for this.

Here's a picture that should give you a general idea of how to cut it and zip-tie it back:

photo10.jpg

wat i did was get a heat gun and melt the inner fender linner to wer it was soft enough to shape using a 2x4

but then again im just running 31s on a stock height

they barely rubbed when i cranked the wheels one way or the other

hope this helps

Back