• Register Today It's free!

rubbing type noise- i need help

t money

Reaction score
City, State
toronto, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt (4.0 sohc)
when i drive and go over a bump i hear this noise that sounds like my car is rubbing. I have stock tires on too. I only hear the noise if i go over a dip type bump, if i go over a speed bump or a sewer i don't hear the noise, its only when the car dips kind of or if i pack up the truck with people i hear the noise a lot, especially when i accellerate. My cousin was thinking the shocks, but it doesn't make this noise over regular bumps or speed bumps. Anyone have any ideas as to what the noise is from, like i said it only happens when the car is full of passengers or i hit a dip type whole. When i'm by myslef i don't hear the problem, it only happens with people in my car or a big dip in the road. Thanks in advance if anyone knows the problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if this helps, its almost like a vibrating noise/feeling and i feel it under my feet

if it was the bearings, would i not hear or feel it when i'm by myself. I will look into that though, any other ideas guys?

i hear and feel the noise when my front end lifts up. How do you know when yor shocks are gone? could it be the shocks and springs

definitely ball joints

EDIT: Take it to a shop, the only way to diagnose a suspension issue is to put a pry bar on it and feel what's loose.

ball joints are the pivot points between the wheel and the suspension.

The springing or rubbing sound that you hear is the ball joint being forced by the wheel into an extreme angle.

Eventually your alignment will be effected as the angle worsens and if the joint will fail completely you'll be up ***** creek as the wheel detaches.... see picture

http://www.freewebs.com/toyotasucks/toyotasucks/hondaballjoint1.jpg

http://www.aa1car.com/library/wheel_missing.jpg

IME, they last about 50-60,000 on my X

Back