Running boards rock sliders

N2FORD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kingston,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4wd
Over the years I have bent and ruined several sets of side steps and brackets off roading. I have looked at several rock sliders but did not really like them. I decided to try and come up with something on my own. After thinking about what I needed I wanted something smooth on the bottom and strong. After looking at everything I could find on line and in magazines (yes I still get Four Wheeler magazine) I had a vision of using a 8 inch square steel tube. Below I will show in pictures what I have done and am very happy so far. They fit nice and tight. The steps I mounted on the pipe are from some side steps I bent the brackets up on. I will try it off road soon and report back.
IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1224.jpg
IMG_1225.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg
IMG_1226.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well done. It looks like a solid solution.

Looks good! I wouldn't trust them being bolted to the body to hold the entire weight of the truck, but the extra support from the tubing will definitely help to keep them sturdier than the 3 mounts that come factory and will hold up a lot better over time on trails.

That looks very good, great pictures! That will help a lot versus nothing protecting the body, but yes avoid really hard impacts of course.

I might make some brackets to run back to the frame or something to run up to the reinforced areas of the floor. It feels really strong compared to the OE and after market running boards I have torn up over the years. I hope to get back out to Windrock soon and try them out.

Over the years I have bent and ruined several sets of side steps and brackets off roading. I have looked at several rock sliders but did not really like them. I decided to try and come up with something on my own. After thinking about what I needed I wanted something smooth on the bottom and strong. After looking at everything I could find on line and in magazines (yes I still get Four Wheeler magazine) I had a vision of using a 8 inch square steel tube. Below I will show in pictures what I have done and am very happy so far. They fit nice and tight. The steps I mounted on the pipe are from some side steps I bent the brackets up on. I will try it off road soon and report back.
View attachment 339937
View attachment 339938
View attachment 339939
View attachment 339943View attachment 339944View attachment 339947View attachment 339948View attachment 339949View attachment 339950
Dude those look sick maybe I'll make a pair like that for 2000

turned out nice, i measured and the rock sliders for jeep 4 door are same size. we cut the mounts and my friend welded brackets and they were way sick and i got them on amazon for 300, but no one made for trac, i bent one and removed them, i now have cheap ones on. i will try and find a pic of them, yours look way more heavy duty, mine bent but did its job.

Back