running offroad in water | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

running offroad in water

alright well i clearly wont be removing the manifolds, but what about removing the cat for offroad purposes? I'd still have a/mufflers. If all the backpressure is removed from the exhaust system, do you think the my X would lose a large amount of its accelartion?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but what about removing the cat for offroad purposes?
There's a lot more to do first, all of which will contribute to greater overall offroad performance than removing the cat. Like a lift, tires, locker(s), diff gears, gear reduction (ie. doubler, Atlas II), snorkel, high-flow fitler, chip / programmer, etc.

For all the Big-Bawgs and Hard-Core wheelers on this site, and in all their combined experience, the exhaust system / cats are one of the last things I've heard them complain about in terms of strictly off-road performance.

and IMHO, there's nothin' worse than a dog with all bark and NO bite, which is what you might end up with if the first thing you do, or if all you do is mess with the exhaust to make the truck louder... :thumbdwn:

What type of offroading do you plan on doing with your X? What have you already done to it? What kind of swamps or mud bogs you runnin through, and is that the only type of off roading you do? What about rocks, trails, etc...and do you ever plan on having the X see pavement again?

How much backpressure does the Cat create ? Does it muffle the sound that much, that when i remove it, it will sound ricey? Im not planning on removing the muffler, but i am going to get an aftermarket one.

The reason i havent lifted the truck or got swampers yet is because this is currently my only vehicle, so it will be seeing too much pavement. However i do want to get the best mileage/performance i can before going offraod. Im planning on doing as much modding as i can before this summer, when it will become my secondary vehicle.

However before this summer I wanted to get headers, remove the cat and get aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket intake (possibly fab one for going through water). Im going to make sure my cab is waterproof (currently there is holes in my firewall..) And im going to be working on some interior stuff. I was thinking about raising the truck slightly (with f-150 leafs), and possibly getting/fabing a grill guard. Im also going to get new shocks to compensate for the lift.

This summer i will going bogging more than climbing...

ps, what is it that makes the mileage so awful on the explorers ? I was originaly under the impression that it was the weight, however i found out that, that isnt true because mercury i.e. ford, released a armored car that weighs around 7500 with a v8, that gets 19/21 . Is it the 4x4 / Intake/exhaust that accounts for the terrible mileage?

Removing any exhaust components is illegal first of all. The gains you get from doing that are minimal. There are drag car classes that require full exhausts. If you're looking for engine improvements, please do some research on that first. There are a billion things you can do before taking the cats off. Look at some other trail rigs, and see what they've done to their exhausts. Even serious mud boggers have an exhaust system. You and your explorer are not gonna be even close to the most serious boggers. Good luck,

if you remove the cats on your 98 or 03 you will get a check engine light also.

I believe you are talking about removing the resonators, not the catalytic converters.

Removing anything from the exhaust has nothing to do with off road modifications.
I think you are confused, earlier you mentioned removing the exhaust manifolds in order to drive through deep water, this is just so far off base I think you are jumping ahead a little bit, relax, slow down, and start reading posts about peoples build ups and modifications.

to clear up a few things, originaly i wanted to remove all of the exhaust except for a few feet of pipe off the exhaust mainfold (enough to get it clear of the engine compartement), because i was looking for a cheap/easy way to gain mileage, and i was under the impression that removing backpressure would increase overall torque/hp, i didnt realize that it would decrease the lower end torque as much. I also had heard that emissions laws didnt apply to offroad vehicles or at least that they werent as strict, although apparently i misread something somewhere. Thanks for the clarification.

Obviously i wouldnt submerge my engine in water without the exhaust manifolds on it. I did'nt even realize my indecisiveness in the first post of this thread, what i was trying to say was, when you drive through deep water consistently i.e. bogging, would it be worth it for your engines sake to route the exhaust above the level of the water?
When i said running your engine wihout the exhaust manifolds, i thought that, that was ideal because there was no backpressure, and by running the exhaust out of the water, youd reduce backpressure. From what i've read countless times is that, the less backpressure the better. From what everyone here has told me is that, that isnt true ?

So what i've now established from everyones responses, is that removing all backpressure in the exhaust system will shift the power curve to higher rpms?
Is is true that the less backpressure the better mileage?

what is it that makes the mileage so awful on the explorers ? I was originaly under the impression that it was the weight, however i found out that, that isnt true because mercury i.e. ford, released a armored car that weighs around 7500 with a v8, that gets 19/21 . Is it the 4x4 / Intake/exhaust that accounts for the terrible mileage?
anyone ?

exhaust mods creat such little gains in economy and performance its hardly worth the cost.

you are correct about emissions laws for off-road vehicles, but off-road vehicels CANNOT be used on the street. so if you want to make your explorer only and off-road vehicle, thats fine, but you'll have to tow it to trails.

as far as a 7500lbs vehicle that gets 19mpg in the city? i don't believe it, where did you read that? what do you get for mileage now? explorers dont get great mileage but its not awful either. i average about 15 in the city and 19 on the highway with my 99 2-door. i think part of it is the 4.0 isnt that efficient to begin with, along with the weight and the fact that the hubs are always locked (adds extra resistance)

Its a Lincoln Town Car Ballistic Protection Series, it weighs 7500lbs i'll find the link to it sometime soon. I get 15mpg in the city with my 98 X too, just wouldnt mind if it was better. Thanks

http://www.lincoln.com/lifestyle/news.asp?item=20
When i first saw this lincoln it was in a magazine, there must've been a typo or i misread. Because here it states the mileage is 14/20. Still for the amount an X weighs 3500ish lbs ? 15/19 doesnt compare.. thats with the same gears 3.55s .. Thanks

exhaust can exit under watter as long as its running, but I see we got that covered.

The only time you want to re,move all exhaust restrictions is when you are using forced induction.

Removing the sound deadening devices Ford installed from the factory can improve mileage, however you are only as good as your smallest bottleneck, so all the restrictions in the intake and exhaust must be removed and the computer must be able to compensate for the changes, this will increase power and mileage but only slightly, what it really does is remove factory installed restrictions and also move the throttle response and engine power band range.

If you want to gain MPG first thing to do is fill up your tires to the max psi, and monitor them, keep it aligned perfectly, and drive like there is an egg between your foot and gas pedal. After that consider electric cooling fan(s) they made the largest MPG increase out of any mod I ever tried.

Other then that realize you are driving a brick wall down that weighs over #5000 down a road and worried about fuel mileage.

An off road truck with straight pipes scares me, can you say brush fire?

Alright so ill look into the electric cooling fans, i was planing on having my alignment fixed anyways and my tires balanced and rotated. Thanks for the advice

yeah thats true straight pipes could easily cause a fire, but so could a improperly heatshielded cat. Thanks for the advice!

But ya gotta watch those electric fans in all that deep water you'll be forging!

are we talking about an electric fan in front of the radiator?

Pusher fans are not as efficient as puller fans.
pusher is mounted in front, puller on engine side.
We are talking puller, your primary fan.
removal of the stock fan and clutch from the waterpump pulley.
In water you simply switch off the electric fan, or it iwll switch itself off because of the cool water.

Every time you remove an accessory from the serpentine belt you will free up some power and gain MPG. the belt driven fan is the largest piower robber of them all.
Now if your fan clutch is owrking the way it should then power gains are not all that much, but MPG are.

electric fans can be difficult to fit on our trucks, they also draw alot of power from the electrical system.

Do a search and you wil see it has been covered, Aldive has an excellent writeup and review.

You can also add a small pusher fan in front of the radiator to help with cooling the trans and engine

Back