Rust issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I'm not a master mechanic or a certified auto body tech. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 and I live in FL but it was in NC for a few years from what a vehicle search said. It has some rust like the front and rear of the frame has some rust but that doesn't concern me. The rust has attacked the tail pipe so I have to have another welded on. My question is are there any preventative measures I can take to prevent it from starting in other places? I keep my vehicles very clean and in pristine conditions. I do know it can spread. I have a spot on the rear passenger side door threshold that has a rust spot and I want to learn and repair it myself. Is there any tips, processes, stuff I can use to fix the spots I wanna fix. I thought maybe of sanding down the area, cleaning it well, place a piece of aluminum to cover the area, then get Bondo/body filler to put over it, sand that down smooth and to the correct shape, then clean the area, and start the repainting process. Is this an ideal way to fix it? Any Ideas? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the rust through the metal? If not sand it until it’s completely shiny clean, and prime and paint. Aluminum is hard to work with, and unnecessary if there’s no hole. Bondo (I’d use a much better brand, hate Bondo) is for filling not for hole repair. Use Fiberglass resin/jelly and mat for holes, or larger repairs.

To help prevent it clean the undercarriage really good to get all the loose dirt off and have it undercoated or fluid filmed.

I'm not a master mechanic or a certified auto body tech. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 and I live in FL but it was in NC for a few years from what a vehicle search said. It has some rust like the front and rear of the frame has some rust but that doesn't concern me. The rust has attacked the tail pipe so I have to have another welded on. My question is are there any preventative measures I can take to prevent it from starting in other places? I keep my vehicles very clean and in pristine conditions. I do know it can spread. I have a spot on the rear passenger side door threshold that has a rust spot and I want to learn and repair it myself. Is there any tips, processes, stuff I can use to fix the spots I wanna fix. I thought maybe of sanding down the area, cleaning it well, place a piece of aluminum to cover the area, then get Bondo/body filler to put over it, sand that down smooth and to the correct shape, then clean the area, and start the repainting process. Is this an ideal way to fix it? Any Ideas? Thanks.
Lucky to get two years out of an aftermarket exhaust here before it goes back to its maker. If it is in the "dogleg" area (back of the door threshold near the wheel) you can buy a replacement piece of sheetmetal, cut the section out and weld/rivet in and refinish. If you want to keep it that is your best bet.

The frame holds up quite well, but the bumpers do rust out. Water and salt will accumulate and accelerate corrosion. Like Mbrooks said shoot it with fluid film.

As stated, unless it's just surface rust (and, that is rarely the case on body panels; at least in my part of the country), you'll need to cut out the bad area and replace it for a lasting repair. Rust on body panels almost always starts from the inside out and simply cleaning the spot of visible rust is temporary at best. The rust that lies in the surrounding area behind that will make itself known in short order. It's a never-ending battle once it starts.

BTW...don't get your expectations up too high when trying to match your existing paint with touch-up paint. Very difficult to blend them so as not to look like a repaired area.

MBrooks420, 96eb96, XLTrunner: Thank you all for your replies and help. For it being a vehicle that spent some time in NC it really isn't all that bad. The rust underneath is literally on parts itself. Everything with rust is a replaceable part so I got lucky. I am going to have my buddy weld on a new exhaust for me so that gets taken care of. As with the front and rear of the frame, as I said I won't worry about it because it's pretty strong and it's fine. I am going to be fixing the rust spots myself so that's why I needed some ideas. I am going to be replacing the front and rear bumpers as well as the front grill. Basically trying to repair this thing back to stock and reliable. To the way I like it. thanks again guys.

Back