• Register Today It's free!

Rust on rear cab corner

coolmac

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
I just traded my 03' ST for it's replacement, o8' ST V8 56K mile from a Ford dealer. All is well, very clean, the 4.6L pulls great, what a difference from the 4.0L w/4.10. Then when waxing the ST, I see paint bubbles on the drivers rear cab corner. My thinking is the third brake light leaking and collecting in that area being the cause.
Anyone else see this? Now to the body shop . . .:mad:

Been there, done that. Oddly enough, mine was the passenger side, drivers side is perfect. I too thought it had to do with the leaky 3rd brakelight, but I couldn't find any evidence on the inside - nothing was damp, no patina. Only water I saw from the leaky CMHSL was on top of the subwoofer enclosure, that small tray thing.

Having a little body shop experience and being a cheapskate, I did the repairs to my own. Light grinding, little bit of putty, feathered it all out, sanded, primed, sanded some more and painted with single stage. There is a strong body line that I painted up to, only took a few pictures along the way as I had no intent to document this. Was pretty easy and results were good. Unless you are specifically down on your hands & knees looking for this repair job, you'd never see it.

After grinding:
asdff_zps0c9d96b7.jpg

fgsdfgasdfg_zpsdc405543.jpg

Done!
asgfadfgwetysdfsdfg_zpsdb225b54.jpg

sfgsdfgsdgtwegsfbvg_zps196b1cc8.jpg

Good luck with yours!

Thanks, that is what I assume mine will have, after grinding.
I would like to see the inside of the panel and treat with Por15, if possible.
I didn't see any signs of water in the rear access compartment?

Back