Rusted Rotors / A trick that worked for me | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rusted Rotors / A trick that worked for me

flyncasafo

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
I set out to do a complete brake job on my wife's Expedition three days ago. I started with the fronts and tried to pull the rotors off. They did not budge. I soaked them with PB Blaster, hit em with a rubber mallet, and used a plumbers toarch on them, and nothing. I tried this for two days and they would not come off. So I cut them off. three cuts on each rotor and them came off with a good whack afterward. This was a very easy fix. The rear rotors fell off.

I guess that you can only do this if you are going with new rotors. I made one cut through the outeredge of the rotor down to the hub with my sawzall. Then another cut 180 degrees from that, and then another 90 degrees from that. It took a blade for each cut (six blades) from the hardware store. $3.50 for two blades.
P1010015.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010014.jpg

There is a lot of surface area for the rust to really stick to.

I live in up-state New York and the snow and salt are really hard on these brakes.

I anti-seized the heck out of the new rotors. I hope that helps next time.

As a side note, I went with the Cryo Powerslot with Hawk Pads. What a difference. I am starting my Explorer next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had to do the same exact thing on my moms 99 Expedition, I striped out a puller trying to pull off the rotor, cutting it seems to be the best way.

Drilling and tapping holes in between the stud area works, the just run a bolt through and they will usually push right off, sometimes:D

BTW I'm digging the lil green guy, he has some HUGE muscles...did he snap that rotor?

I've run into this problem several times, the sledge hammer always works for me (i'm talking about a short handle one, not the one u use to split firewood lol) u do have to wack it a few times but they'll come off. Cutting it works too, definetely the easiest way out but then u pay for the blades :(

Back