• Register Today It's free!

Sag in Driver seat

Explorer Pete

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
Got a 2013 used Explorer Limited 31K back in Nov of last year. The drivers seat has the feeling that it is lacking in support at the tailbone. Had Ford dealer check, "said that they found something wrong, and replaced the cushion. All of this is under what was left of the warranty, 3/36K. After driving for a few days, and going over the 36K, I find that the seat still gives the feeling of lost support. I checked the right side and driver seat to see what type of support they both have. I found that the right side (passenger) seat has an added piece of support, the driver seat does not. It is a foam pad with firm plastic on one side. Checking on line, both cushions have the same part number. Sorry for the long lead-in, Can someone help explain why the support is not in the seat that is needed? I am sure the ford will stick to the fact that the cushion is correct. I am starting to get the feeling that I am out of luck. No butting of heads as of this time, but it is coming. How can I get the support that is needed for the seat? Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pete, that cusion repair is still under warranty, so go back and get it fix if not contact crystal on this forum she is very nice and will help you...!

I also have experienced a sag in the seat. Unfortunately it doesn't involve the vehicle seats.:D

Go back to the dealer and have then check it out and contact Crystal as NEWPORTNJ suggested at;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

The problem that I have is covered by Ford. They pull up the parts list and the pictures and it will show just the seat cushion, that was replaced. It does not show anything else for the seat. Part # 632A22. That is the same number for drivers side as the passenger seat, but the passenger side picture shows a pad that is part of the seat cushion. How can you say some support is missing, if the picture does not show it? I would like to find the pad and put it in myself. This way I know it has the proper support, and Ford is out of the picture, and I can sit in the drivers seat like a Big kid, not a little boy.

What about the power lumbar support? Have you tried that?

The lumbar works, but the problem is not having support under the tail bone. If you have the explorer, sit in the passenger seat and then in the driver's seat, compare the firmness of both. Mine has a dip in the center / back part of the seat. Then, if you, look under the seats from the back, notice what the cushion looks like. Pete

Just an up-date, Ford called and said that the seat is as designed. Replacing the cushion for the seat was all that they could do. The only way I can see to fix this problem is to add my own pad for support. About an hour after talking to Ford, I went out to my garage, and found a piece of particle board from a desk, took measurements of the area under the seat and cut, slipped the pads in under the cushion and the wire springs. Had to use 2 pads as the wire for the heated seats was in the way. Each pad was 5"x 5", this was just big enough to slide into place. The result was, added support for the seat, and it provides the firmness that I was looking for. Hope this is a lasting fix. Pete

Back