Satellite Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Satellite Radio

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
i just put a portable sirius radio in my mountie. i have had stellite for years, but it was always a direct connect with my headunit. i cannot get away from the static now. i bought one of those fm adapters and still i have static. i thought this was supposed to alleviate that? its better than with just the fm transmitter, but still not anywhere near cd quality. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought the FM adapter for both of my vehicles.. goes inline between the stock antenna cable and the back of the head unit. I have no static once I am on the FM preset, and with this connection you never have to change stations when you leave your presets broadcasting area.

I bought the FM adapter for both of my vehicles.. goes inline between the stock antenna cable and the back of the head unit. I have no static once I am on the FM preset, and with this connection you never have to change stations when you leave your presets broadcasting area.

thats exactly why i bought the adapter. i will say that it has cut out the static, but it has a hissing sound in the background all the time and the quality is no where near as good as when it was just a direct connect with my headunit like in my milan. im kinda bummed.

No FM modulator you buy is good.
99.9% of the time theres gonna be static, and interference, you can tape the damn thing right to your antenna and theres still gonna be static.

You need to just get a nice aftermarket HU with an AUX input, then you can PLUG your satelite radio DIRECTLY into your stereo

No FM modulator you buy is good.
99.9% of the time theres gonna be static, and interference, you can tape the damn thing right to your antenna and theres still gonna be static.

You need to just get a nice aftermarket HU with an AUX input, then you can PLUG your satelite radio DIRECTLY into your stereo

the thing is i kinda like my factory stereo with the 6 disc and the steerring wheel controls. i already have a nice touchscreen aftermarket i took out of my explorer when i sold it, but i really like being able to use the wheel controls and such. i might just have tio deal with the hissing. i just thought the fm adapter would completely eliminate it. it didnt. oh well.

Sony radios are very compatable with the steering wheel controls...

You buy the headunit, and then its like a 5$ cord that allows the use of your steering wheel controls...its pretty cool

as for the changer, you'll have a CD and Satelite radio! lol sony usually if you buy a headunit, theyre HD tuners are 10$ I have an HD tuner for a sony headunit of anyones interested...

But just burn an MP3 cd, about 160 songs!

Sony radios are very compatable with the steering wheel controls...

You buy the headunit, and then its like a 5$ cord that allows the use of your steering wheel controls...its pretty cool

as for the changer, you'll have a CD and Satelite radio! lol sony usually if you buy a headunit, theyre HD tuners are 10$ I have an HD tuner for a sony headunit of anyones interested...

But just burn an MP3 cd, about 160 songs!
i remember seeing headunits that came with their own steering wheel control thingy, but this $5 piece allows us to use the factory controls? thats pretty cool.

Back