• Register Today It's free!

Satellite Radio....

Viro

Reaction score
City, State
Leamington, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
Sorry, posted here as I must be blind not to see a 'radio' section....

Seeing some deals on satellite radio ready units for boxing day.

The Clarion VX409 is sirius satellite radio ready....

What I want to know is what constitutes a radio ready unit? I have a Starmate 5 radio head I use in my truck right now....do I still need to use it? Do I need to get a vehicle satellite tuner for the truck too?

Kinda getting confused reading into exactly what I need....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could also use your starmate with the new head unit thru the radio like your doing now,

satellite ready means that you can have it displayed on the head unit, and use it for channel selection and such, with the purchase of the black box satellite component, and antenna,

if you want to see which one is compatible, look on Crutchfields website, ,

looking into it some more....

i seem to think i only need the SC-C1 tuner.....

I just don't understand/can't figure out if I still need to use an actual sirius receiver (starmate, stilletto etc)....

As per crutchfield....

Sirius Direct: You can connect the SiriusConnect SC-C1 Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver (item number 607SCC1, sold separately) directly to the Clarion VX409, without any external interface box and enjoy over 130 channels of music, news, talk shows, sports and traffic information with digital quality sound throughout the U.S. and Canada. A subscription to Sirius Satellite Radio is required for service.

I have service, just don't know if I'd still need the starmate 5 i got to use it all or does the SC-C1 with the clarion radio get the channels?

Here's the deal...

Since your in-dash unit is sat ready, you can get satellite radio on that unit instead of the stand alone unit you now use...Just like with the current standalone unit, you call or go online to the company of choice[xm or Sirius], give them the ESN of the indash unit and your account info, and you will have sat radio coming from the indash unit...

If you want to transfer the service from the standalone unit to the indash unit, I know Sirius will do that for a fee and will try to setup another years service during the transfer...Now if you don't want to pay these fees, use the stand alone unit with the indash unit...

what he is saying is , if you get the sc-c1 box you will no longer need the starmate 5 , and the programming can be switched for free , from the one to the other,,
which is good,

If your headunit says "Satelite Radio Ready" or "XM/Sirius Ready" that means you can buy a little thing that plugs into the back of the radio, and has the antenna that you still gotta put outside, and you control your satelite radio, from the radio, not having to turn it to a certain FM station, then using the starmate.

(On your radio you'd press source and get fm, am, satelite, cd, aux, etc) it would look cleaner and probably sound alot better too

Since your in-dash unit is sat ready, you can get satellite radio on that unit instead of the stand alone unit you now use...Just like with the current standalone unit, you call or go online to the company of choice[xm or Sirius], give them the ESN of the indash unit and your account info, and you will have sat radio coming from the indash unit...

If you want to transfer the service from the standalone unit to the indash unit, I know Sirius will do that for a fee and will try to setup another years service during the transfer...Now if you don't want to pay these fees, use the stand alone unit with the indash unit...

what he is saying is , if you get the sc-c1 box you will no longer need the starmate 5 , and the programming can be switched for free , from the one to the other,,
which is good,

If your headunit says "Satelite Radio Ready" or "XM/Sirius Ready" that means you can buy a little thing that plugs into the back of the radio, and has the antenna that you still gotta put outside, and you control your satelite radio, from the radio, not having to turn it to a certain FM station, then using the starmate.

(On your radio you'd press source and get fm, am, satelite, cd, aux, etc) it would look cleaner and probably sound alot better too

Perfect guys, thanks....

I just broke my second starmate the other day....well actually my 2 year old did. Not that I want to get a new radio but if it means I don't have to worry about where I put the starmate in the house to get wrecked, well so be it.

One other item...

Don't forget that with your xm/sirius subscription you can still hear satellite programming via internet for free as well... Obviously you need an internet connection but that and a set of speakers on your computer is all you need..

No need to use a docking station with a starmate or other sat radion anymore...I have gotten my sat radio fix at home and/or work for years now this way...

Don't forget that with your xm/sirius subscription you can still hear satellite programming via internet for free as well... Obviously you need an internet connection but that and a set of speakers on your computer is all you need..

No need to use a docking station with a starmate or other sat radion anymore...I have gotten my sat radio fix at home and/or work for years now this way...

....yeah I know, I use it over the internet at work, use the docking station for outdoors....

I'm bummed....got the radio today and it ain't gonna fit and be trimmed properly. The unit itself is about 1/4" to big top to bottom and has 1/4" gap on both sides.

I could 'make' it fit but I'm afraid I won't be able to trim it properly because the trims that come with it don't fit the radio opening in the console nice so now I'm S.O.L.

I really liked the unit and really wanted the double din and liked the fact the unit was 'dark' to deter thieves....and satellite radio hookup woulda been easy....

Back