Scanners (and readers)....Who Uses What? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scanners (and readers)....Who Uses What?

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
Scan-tools are a huge part of automotive diagnosis and can do a lot of cool features. Code Readers are great for the DIY type guy/girl and can be found at a relatively cheap price. I have access to many scan-tools and have enjoyed working with mostly Snap-On's Modios (actually three of them, and all of them are updated with the latest software - including the newest Asian). The Modios is defilently my favorite.

Snap-on-MODIS4.2.jpg

I also have worked with Ford scan tool; the NGS (New Generation Star) scanner. It is a bit out-dated and will be useless on most anything, I believe, 2005+ vehicles. The NGS is better over the Modios in basically one feature: program. You can reprogram and/or change data inside modules easily with the NGS that the Modios would that.

P10104012q.jpg

The shop I am at is soon to purchase a Tech 2 (GMs factory level scan tool) and Fords new Laptop programs/scan tool. I haven't worked much with the Tech 2 -- but I have worked with its cousin the MasterTech by Vetronix (exact same thing as the Tech 1 really). The MasterTech is actually Toyotas factory scan tool.

tech2.jpg

mts3100_big.jpg

So anyway, what are you guys using and who likes what features, what would you recommend to someone who was thinking about purchasing a scan-tool, etc! Any feedback is welcomed! Also, for more information on scanners read this Thread by Glacier http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80707

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clearly laptop interfaces are the thing of the future. I have wanted one that had a digital snapshot graphing feature...like your Modio picture shows... but those so far are way out of my league, and so my trusty old oscilloscope (remember those) gets dragged out and I relearn how to use it each time, and wish (and, btw, the breakout box is nearly always used with the scope).
I think the scope is pretty awesome.... trying to figure out a slow start problem and SEEING a low PIP signal is pretty impressive. My scope is dual trace so I can superimpose things, which is nice too. But only 2... digital could do more.

I think the next few years is going to stagger people's imagination on what is available out there for a savvy amateur. Trickle down.

I still like my old Actron scanners, shown in my thread... yet....anyway...
For now, I want an NGS. I won't be working on anything 2005+ for some time.

I recently missed out on a SBDS selling closeby pick up. It went for $350!

As far as DTC reading and monitoring parameters, my ScanGauge works good for me. And the price was right too, only $100. Works great for what I use it for.

My MATCO MD-1000
I LOVE this tool. CAN ready, Air bags, ABS, tranny,full live data stream that tells me every thing but what color the vehicle is.

Attachments

• MD1000.jpg
    MD1000.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,001

I just recently got a new color catalog from MATCO and their diagnostic section looked very nice and that their scanners look like high quality machines.

Also, I also have used the Snap-On' MT2500 (kind of old school). We have, I believe, three of these also.

-Drew

mt2500.jpg

ExplorerDMB said:
I just recently got a new color catalog from MATCO and their diagnostic section looked very nice and that their scanners look like high quality machines.

]

Well technically it is a SPX ( with Matco lables ) SPX makes OTC. OTC has just about cornered the market on high end scan tools.

I use my X-calibrator Version 2 programmer as it has DTC capabilities for all 96 and newer Ford's even the new CAN vehicles, both read and clear, and it can also datalogg any parameter in the PCM along with putting it on your Laptop screen to show it. I use this for my dynotuning as well.

At work I use the NGS and the add on NGS plus and the refresh rate is too slow for tuning but the code scanner and module communication is always a plus.

later Doug.

Attachments

• Xcal2realpic2.jpg
    Xcal2realpic2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,334

Nice setup Doug. Looks very useful and easy to work with!

-Drew

I'm lookin to get a PC setup for dataloggin and whatnot.
anybody have any experience with the AutoTap?
and Aldive, I assume you're likin the AutoEnginuity?

Gavin, care to share some links or information on what you are thinking about purchasing?

-Drew

Both look like good tools and softwares. Here are a few videos from AutoTap that they are showing:

http://www.autotap.com/video/AutoTap_Misfire.wmv

http://www.autotap.com/video/AutoTap%20MP1.mpg

Everything they are doing you can do with the Modios. Most scan tools now a day also tell you what the code means once you pull it. Of coarse those videos are a little cheesy and aren't exactly true, but most scan tools are worth their money. I haven't used the AutoTap system myself, but maybe someone else has. Thank you for posting Gavin.

-Drew

I use a PC program and OBDII interface cable from http://www.obd-2.com/ . Cost about $100 and works well for 96 and newer. It does nothing for GEM, ABS Brakes or Transmission but the engine stuff is great. Have fixed many Fords with this one.
Jerrys Repair Service - Jerry

The one I would like to get, Actron cp9145.

scanners

guys, i see so many options i'm confused to help me guys what would be the best for an average bloke here in aussie i have a 9/99build xlt i believe i'm pretty handy with a spannerbeing a jack of all trades but a master of none i would like to obtain one but i guess i'll have to go usa to get one could some one supply a address if possible and a cost if possible i would like to look at a flasher as wellthanks a've a g'day

Well - two things: what do you want to get out of it? Just to scan codes and clear codes or scan codes, clear codes, graph out things, read data displays, etc. -- there are numerous applications that'll work with your truck, but you have to see how much you want to spend and how much you want to get out of it. A code reader with the ability to clear codes will probably run you around $100-150 dollars (for a nice one). Check eBay for OBD-II code reader...that has the Code Reader and the function to clear codes.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back