• Register Today It's free!

SCT custom tunes.

KevinZwick

Reaction score
City, State
southeast Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS
Hey guys. Im new to the site but im wondering how much power i can get out of a custom tune on an SCT x3. I dont have the tuner yet but am debating on buying it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry i forgot to mention i got an 03 explorer 4.0L Sohc. thanks for the help whoever might can answer.

welcome

I don't know an exact HP#, but I would guess approx. 20-25hp. I can tell you it is well worth it. I'm sure many members would agree. Most people on here got their's from James @ Henson Performance.

Just the changes he made to the trans shifts (timing, firmness,etc...) made it feel like a whole new truck.

While the tuning is great on it's own (on a bone stock vehicle), it really shines when combined with some other basic mods. Cold Air Intake, cat-back exhaust,etc... I think your '03 has the "Drive-By-Wire" Electronic throttle??? If so, I believe he can really make some improvements with the "feel" of that setup too.

A bone-stock 2nd gen Explorer, like mine, will usually run the 1/4 in the high 16's to low 17's. With a K&N FIPK and and XCAL3 w/ Henson tunes, I've ran 15.87. That's a little over a second off the stock 1/4 mile e.t

welcome to the site

Ya gotta do what Brooklyn said and find James at Henson Performance. He'll give you real answers.

Welcome to EF.

thanks. I ordered k&n intake and it will be here in a few days. I will most likely order the SCT and try to contact james. my truck still has the throttle cable. no electric. I bought the helix throttle body spacer and if anyone is wondering about it, its not that noticeable. very slightly noticeable. i tried the tornado inline vortex thing and it done the same exact thing as the throttle body spacer and at a quarter of the cost. But thats the only performance mods i've done so far. right now 0-60 in 9.2.

Thinking about 3.73 gears instead of 3.55 too. Tires are wider but still the same height as stock. I know the sport has the 3.73 and test driving one felt like it had more jump in low gear. of course theres a weight difference and suspension too though.

But anyways thanks guys. im gonna go try to upload a pic on here.

Back