SEA FOAM!!! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SEA FOAM!!!

I've used that trick and heard of others using it. One common technique is to pour it straight into the intake while the engine is running! Same thing I did with the Seafoam.

Auto trans fluid is rich in detergents. Supposedly that's what cleans the chambers.

I have never seen a before-and-after, data-backed experiment; just anecdotes of "It runs better now." I guess the people who do exacting research would just as soon rebuild the engine when it's running less than 100 percent.

I wonder how much real cleaning can take place inside a busy combustion chamber from just a brief splash of trans fluid OR Seafoam. I've had to work much harder cleaning cylinder heads when I had them off the car....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well just my .02 on this stuff. I did a motor transplant last July with the new cam,TB, headers, and Pro-M MAF and I felt very little difference from my 220K motor. The motor was out of a 2000. I have been using the aerosol version for a while now and have notice a slight difference. The other day I used the regular stuff and my new motor has a new life! I can actualy accelerate while in OD without mashing the peddle. :D

I hate to beet a dead horse here but, I am still confused. I used Sea foam through my b/b and noticed little difference and not much smoke. After reading this thread at least 5 times I still don't know where the t/b vac line is on a 93. This is why I used the b/b. I did see after removing the air intake hose and plate what I think was a vac line but there was no suction to the manifold and it was pointing down. Am I looking in the right place?

Feel under the TB. It connects to a spout on there.

I think I know what you are talking about. Is it a metal tube that points down?

Not down, but it does have a slant to it. There's only one on the TB though, so that's probably it.

How do you think I can get Sea foam in there? Did you ever try this way?

I got it! I took the hose that was on the t/b vac line, put another hose on that was longer and fed the Sea foam in. It was so easy, no funnel it just sucked it right up.
Thanx.

Yep, that's how it's done!

Hey all,

I just read through the thread and I was just wondering about a product that we have at Canadian Tire. It's a Carburator and Combustion chamber cleaner.

Instructions are to use while engine is warm, then slowly pour 3/4 of the liquid into the carb throat, while operating the throttle. Then it says to pour the last 1/4 in rapidly to stall the engine. Let stand for 10 mins and then restart and operate throttle to remove the rest of the product.

Think it'll do the same job as the Seafoam? I've checked Carquest here and they don't carry it...at least not in my town.

I've got 356,000 kms on a 95 Ex XLT and it's never been done before, so I'm thinking it's about time I gave 'er a good cleaning.

I'm just wondering if I should use the PCV hose or should I try to get it in through the TB?

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Evan

I don't why in the world they would WANT you to stall the engine. Might be because it's carb cleaner and not for fuel injection. If you do use this product, do NOT stall the engine with it. Always use the TB vac line for engine cleaner.

Pour it fast enough to stall the engine and you might hydrolock it.
The tech guy at Seafoam told me the best place to put the product is thru the PCV
Make sense to me as than it will go front to back with the airflow, at least on my engine

Hey all,

Well, I ended up using the brake booster line, I found the TB line ok thanks to j602's helpful description but I could not remove the hose from the green L joint.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this without breaking the connection? I'd still like to give it a whirl using that method.

I ended up using two bottles of the cleaner...and didn't let it stall out. It blew out moderate amounts of white smoke through the exhaust both times and even more for about 1 km driving it afterwards. I did the first bottle....everything went ok and then did the second to see if there was anything that was missed...there was, which is why I'm inclined to do it a 3rd time to get it fully cleaned out.

Upon driving it, I noticed a much smoother idle and my tach wasn't jumpy as it was before. Seems smooth at 750-950 rpm. I also noticed a bit of a power boost (Has anyone else noticed this?) upon semi-hard acceleration from a complete stop.

Don't bother doing it a 3rd time. 1 is enough, much less 2. the white smoke will come every time you use it regardless of how clean or dirty the engine is. That just how it works. The only other method to get it through the TB that I know of is to put it in a bottle and spray it through the intake.

Back