How to: - Seafoam Your 4.0 SOHC | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Seafoam Your 4.0 SOHC

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I guessing its a OHV because its 96' and SOHC were introduced in 97' if i'm correct...
anyways now where is the main vaccum line?

Behind the Brake Booster, Mine has a splice in it so it's easy for me, yours might be more difficult.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i live by sea foam with my 94. about 500-750 miles b4 my oil change i add it strait to the oil. then about every two weeks to the gas. but i put on almost 2500 a month. worked wonders on my trip to colorado. hell if my x motor gets dirty enuf ive even been know to spry carb cleaner strait down the throat. works just as well... smells like **** tho

ok thanks alot :thumbsup:

Seafoam 4.0L explorer

Warning for what? I've been using Seafoam for a several years across two Explorers and two different engines (5.0 and SOHC 4.0). I consider myself a Seafoam newbie compared to several on this site. I also use it on my wife''s Subie Outback. I have yet to see any issues whatsoever. I even use a full can as opposed to the 1/3 they recommend on the can.

Your comments are baseless. Seafoam's products have a GREAT reputation and that reputation is deserved. I've had amazing results in the past including a very difficult ping issue that got taken care of by Seafoam.

I want to try seafoam using the IAC method but I'm confused which vacuum line to use and where to locate it. I would prefer this to the brake vac line method. thanks
crazyhorsemd[/I]

Anyone know exactly which hose I would use for the IAC method on an 03 explorer sport? I really wanna try to do this to my car but am skeptical in putting it in the wrong hose. If anyone can help please

As long as it is a vac hose on the intake, its hard to mess up with this. My iac doesnt have a vac line on it so I usualy use the brake booster hose. I get seafoam 2 cans at a time and use it after just about every oil change. I love this stuff, and its fun to blow smoke around the neighborhood lol.

OK thanks I just wanted to try the IAC since I read it was the best but I'll be trying the brake booster. Is it safe to use that much seafoam? I thought you were only supposed to use 1/3 but my cars at 85k and never had this done so I'm sure it needs a really good cleaning.

I would put a half a can in it, run it for a couple hundred miles and put the other half in it. I put most of the can in my intake and the rest in the gas tank.. It makes a huge difference.

The iac would be a nice location to use but if you dont have a vac line, you simply cant do it there. The brake boster hose goes into the top of the intake so imo it should be pulled into every cylender pretty well.

So after doing this would I have to get an oil change pretty soon, or could I drive it for like a 1k more than do it. Yeah I can't seem to find that line which kinda sucks but for never doing this at all I think the brake booster and gas tank should make a pretty noticeable difference.

You only have to change your oil after about 200 miles if you put it in the crankcase. Putting it in the tank is just going to clean you fuel system.

Alright cool good to know, thanks for you quick help. I might do this tonight if my roommates leave, if not bright and early tomorrow.

just be sure to drive it untill it quits smoking at least, and romp on it a couple times to blow all the stuff out. Good luck, and happy smoking out the neighborhood lol.

So i just did the seafoam and it really worked good. I was too skeptical to do it at home since the house was full but it was just itchin at me so I went to this industrial part of the city and did it. The block was full of smoke, definitely will be doing it regularly now.

Beware

Hey everyone,

Just a friendly heads up that I've been doing this for years without any issues. I was just doing a tune up and I used Sea Foam in my brake booster. When I went to start the SUV, it made a loud noise and cut off. It would only click once and would not turn over. Long story short, I'm pretty sure this seized my engine. Just be careful because after speaking to a couple of mechanics they have dealt with this issue several times.

Back