How to: - Seafoam Your 4.0 SOHC | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Seafoam Your 4.0 SOHC

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Hey what exactly is SeaFoam used for? Never read what it does and such...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok still no luck with my x its still knocking

Just follwed the steps for the first application method and it worked! The only difference is that I used half of the bottle and saved the rest for another treatment. Thanks for this thread!

So has anyone tried to use Seafoam as a degreaser or parts cleaner? Would it work?

It's about the same as diesel fuel so... probably.

So let me get this straight, for the first method, you're just popping the IAC hose off, putting in a t-joint to temporarily pour the seafoam in, and then removing the joint and replacing the hose after?

bumpasaurus.jpg

IAC method is SO simple. Pop out IAC hose at the intake hose. Insert funnel into IAC hose. Suck in Seafoam from there. I always had great success with this method on my old Sport. I wish it was so simple for the 5.0.

That's what it looked like, I just wanted to confirm. I went and bought the t-connection at the Depot last night. Should be doing it on Saturday. Thanks Celly.

That's what it looked like, I just wanted to confirm. I went and bought the t-connection at the Depot last night. Should be doing it on Saturday. Thanks Celly.

A t-connection would help keep the funnel upright without having to bend the hose too much. I had a slightly different setup as the IAC hose was modified a bit to work with my Volant intake, but the concept was the same. I sort of had a built in t-connection.

Good luck. As mentioned, I wish I had it so easy with the 5.0. I can use the brake booster method but get nowhere near the results I get using the PCV method (which can be a real pain to do).

Good luck. As mentioned, I wish I had it so easy with the 5.0. I can use the brake booster method but get nowhere near the results I get using the PCV method (which can be a real pain to do).

I did the brake booster line 3 years ago, and the results were VERY underwhelming. I saw maybe one puff of tiny smoke, and felt no difference in smoothness/power. Hoping this time it'll be different.

sorry for the slow reply. you can take the Tjoint out, but there is no real need.

i put it in because i like to run seafoam quite often, so what i did, it make sure the seal on both ends is nice and tight and then block off the top with a cap of some sort. that way you can just unscrew the cap abnd dump it in.

and the other reason is the motor stalls in that line is not connected to the intake hose :D

Yea, I had to cover the top of the T until the truck got started, then I just uncovered it, stuck the funnel in and poured. When I did it the first time 3 years ago I was very unimpressed. Did it via the brake booster, sucked it in verrrry slowly, and got barely any smoke, etc. This time I poured it in pretty quick, let the truck sit for 20, started it up and WOW - what a smokeshow. Had my father videotape it, so I'll have a youtube link in a few days of all the smoke. :D

Here's the smokeshow vid! :D

Toldya the IAC method was better than the BB method. ;)

Definitely. :thumbsup: :D

I just used the brake boost method and used a cup to vacuum the sea foam. Waited about 20 mins and then smoked out the neighborhood, good thing I did it after the sun went down and all the screaming kids were inside or it would have caused a big scene.

So far Im satisfied with how much smoke came out to begin with, and how smooth the X felt after. Ill be driving to school tomorrow, about a 40 mile round trip, so ill watch the gas gauge. I also tightened the throttle cable with some zip ties today and the explorer feels newer than when I bought her 4 years ago.

I also plan on changing the oil, filter, and maybe put the trans tune in as well on Friday.

I'm running a 4.0L OHV 98' sport and I have no idea where to poor my can of Seafoam in (Engine wise). Is the booster alright in a OHV if I want a good clean or is there some better way?

Reason I'm posting in the SOHC is because I can't find a thread with the slightest hint on a OHV :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the smokeshow vid! :D

I was curious about all that smoke. Is that what is supposed to happen after a seafoam treatment? Does that smoke clear up in short order or not? To me that looks like you have some serious trouble.

Back