• Register Today It's free!

Sensitive to water

osteologation

Reaction score
City, State
Caro, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
Even with new plugs/wires my explorer is real sensitive to the coil pack getting wet. And even tho this is my 5th 4.0 vehicle I've owned it's the only one I've wheeled. If I do a big splash and it get wet it'll miss really bad till it dries out a bit. I'm just wondering if an old/worn out coil pack could be the cause of some oft other issues.

I use a food grade silcone spray protectant. I spray it on the wire coils ect. You can get it at a parts store.

I use a food grade silcone spray protectant. I spray it on the wire coils ect. You can get it at a parts store.

I've done this and it does help, but I feel I shouldn't have to. This and my buddies yota are like this (his has a dizzy tho). None of the other vehicles ive had have been like this. As long as the dizzy cap is new and/or rtv'd they are fine. Now I don't always go looking for water but if there is a puddle I want to splash it. :D

Is it just the nature of the ford coil pack?

If I had to guess, your coil pack is in crappy condition. I have mine to where I have blasted 3 foot deep streams in excess of 40 mph and never sputtered. but then again everyone of my vehicles I use silicone and di eletric grease like it's going out of style.

Back